Sony: Some PSN Personal Info Wasn't Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasagul

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I'm not even a console gamer but if they ever catch the group behind this they need to tie rabid ferrets to their genitals.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
If I had any financial info with Sony, I would still cancel my CC, just to be safe.
It's bad enough they have the personal info, which for whatever "professional" reason was not encrypted.
One more reason to trust Sony, now that I know they have a "very sophisticated security system". Because, everyone knows, a" very sophisticated security system" is sooooo much easier to setup instead of just encrypting the f#$%^ data!
Pathetic.

G

"The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very useless security system that was breached in a malicious attack"

fixed it for them

Sphex

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
[citation][nom]abswindows7[/nom]Ghot is behind this for sure.GO GHOT[/citation]
I'm pretty sure that they would sue him again if it was him, and take back any settlement money if they did

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Sphex[/nom]I'm pretty sure that they would sue him again if it was him, and take back any settlement money if they did[/citation]

He didn't get "settlement money", he got the chance to not be sued by a major corporation, which is a good outcome in his situation. He also got an injunction, so if he were to be linked to this in any way, or further tampered with Sony products, he would either face SEVERE civil fines or even criminal charges. He got the chance to walk away, not doing so would be a horrible mistake.

G

well thats what happens when you got a big giant company that suck in security at least i will stick with microsoft for online and data protection hahaha looks like you loose sony

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Sony must have used Securom to protect their network. That's what I would use to screw my customers while making it easy for the "bad guys".

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
You would think that with all the money that sony makes off of the Playstation brand, they could get better security and could encrypt files. Heck, even my laptop has an encrypted harddrive. Why the heck doesn't Sony do that? Fail. Just fail...

vk_87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
"The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted (as then it is easier to be hacked), but was, of course, behind *an extremely useless and incompetent* security system that was breached in a malicious attack"

Fixed it even better!

jgalecio

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Bigger than Sony lets on: My friend called me the other day and Chase had called him informing him that an attempt to withdraw $4000 from his savings was blocked. He never had an incident like this before until he received that email from Sony in regards to the stolen PSN information. I have been personally checking my account as well and moved most of my money to another account that PSN is not associated with. Sony F****D up big time on this one!

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Passwords in the clear???? Can't be serious. Some PR guy must have botched this. Even the simplest implementations nowadays use some flavor of md5 3des or sha type symetric hash.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]rasagul[/nom]I'm not even a console gamer but if they ever catch the group behind this they need to tie rabid ferrets to their genitals.[/citation]

You forgot the "painting said gentitals with silver glittery paint."

Rabid ferrets + shiny = TOY TOY TOY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.