Sony to Post $3.2 Billion Loss From Last Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Sony go back to your roots. Bring out a NEW series of Shortwave radios!

The ICF SW7600GR is almost a decade old now but is still one of the best and contrary to what the consulting agencies tell you many folks still do listen to HF shortwave and Amateurs too. When the cell/wired world crashes and it will, you'll still be able to hear Amateur operators on the air all over the world.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Sony go back to your roots.[/citation]
Agree. Sony's classic products were all very very good. I can't tell you how many 8-10+ year old Sony electronics I have. They all work fantastic and continue to work fantastically.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Sony has lost its way...

It certainly about 8-10 years ago Sony was a product which the majority wanted to own...

I was certainly proud to have my walkman, diskman, didnt bother with the rest.

now its Apple..

If Apple did televisions, stereos, alarm clocks and camcorders then its game over for Sony.

Sony's abysmal track record with the PS3 from poor origional sales figures to the latest PSN outage - im afraid has not helped even though its the most powerfull console right now it has had such a bad execution - its just not that wannable... not really a big leap over the xbox 360 which has been around for years., its laptops have had reliability issues and its all in one have had the same which have not helped.

Ever since the main guy passed away Sony has gone cheap in my eyes... The should build on the quality - they dont do anything outstaning anymore....

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
[citation][nom]Hellboy[/nom]Sony has lost its way...It certainly about 8-10 years ago Sony was a product which the majority wanted to own...I was certainly proud to have my walkman, diskman, didnt bother with the rest.now its Apple..If Apple did televisions, stereos, alarm clocks and camcorders then its game over for Sony.Sony's abysmal track record with the PS3 from poor origional sales figures to the latest PSN outage - im afraid has not helped even though its the most powerfull console right now it has had such a bad execution - its just not that wannable... not really a big leap over the xbox 360 which has been around for years., its laptops have had reliability issues and its all in one have had the same which have not helped.Ever since the main guy passed away Sony has gone cheap in my eyes... The should build on the quality - they dont do anything outstaning anymore....[/citation]

Haha, APPLE? hahahaha, somebody smack this moron.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Yup- Sony was like IBM in a sense back then- every product was new, innovative, and durable.

But the only things I'd buy from them now are their TVs/home theatre systems and other enterprise-class products (I've seen a certain videoconferencing unit that's really quite good). Their PS1/PS2 was also worth owning, but the PS2 was the beginning of the end.
Other than that, only older Sony products (VCRs, Walkmans, and the like) are worth owning. Also the AIBO, which would have been really cool had it cost 1/2 as much.

But nowadays:

VAIO Laptops? Nope, they're flaky at best, they come with a lot of crap, and they suffer mysterious slowdowns.

PS3? Insecure, and the fact that the system is so mismanaged it's funny. OtherOS? Gone.

MP3 players? Nope. Nothing new, and you've got to use proprietary software to use them. So I'll pass.

Camcorders/cameras? Same deal as the MP3 players, and your proprietary format, Memory Stick, was your way of trying to lock consumers in to only using the Sony ecosystem. That didn't work so well.

CDs? Yeah- if I want you to spy on me I'll let you know.

Actually... I think it's going to take a bankruptcy to bring them back into line. The only things that the company cares about now is suing people after spying on them.

It would cost a lot of jobs and employment spaces but it would sure be nice if we'd actually have a viable competition to, say, Apple.

I think they need to change their name. So much negative press. Change it back when you've done a good enough job to deserve the old name.
Then, R&D. Sony used to be the first one to come out with products and new technologies. They aren't anymore.

Look- you're not Panasonic or Toshiba. Sony isn't mostly an equipment manufacturer. The winning formula for them was "come up with a new product", and the Walkman, the Hi8 camcorder, MiniDisc (debatable), were all commercial successes.

But all you care about now is suing people.
What a joke.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Just curious, 3.2 billion at the "end" of it's fiscal year which ended in March.. Wasn't the earth quake in March? After?

footsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
[citation][nom]ironmb[/nom]Haha, APPLE? hahahaha, somebody smack this moron.[/citation]

Eventhough i don't like Apple, but u gotta agree when ppl talked about mp3 players, mostly we think of apple ipod. sony is non-existence

fyend

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]after weeks of research I got an iPad2 because well it's the best tablet out there. Flame me all you want it's true. That's genius in my book.[/citation]

Figuring out that the average consumer is a moron and can be convinced that something mediocre is the best is not genius :) Its amazing marketing, but genius it is not. Genius is a word that is overused much in the way beautiful is overused when it comes to Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.