Sony Vaio display distorted

sevenpinsc1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Hello,

I have a Vaio that started getting a distorted screen shortly after I installed Star Craft II. When I turn the computer on it boots up to the sign-on screen just fine. When I put my password in it goes to the main screen and is very distorted. When I move my mouse around it will distort in different areas of the screen. It looks like there are many layers of screens it is trying to show. If I keep moving it I can eventually see enough of the screen to open programs, but it is always distorted to the point that I cannot use it. I have re-installed the recovery discs to bring it back to factory condition. I still have the same issues. any suggestions.

Help,

Sevenpinsc1

G

Try starting in Safe Mode (depress Function Key 8 before Windows starts) and see if it's okay. If not you probably have a hardware problem. Connect an external monitor to see if it's the laptop screen or the video circuitry.

sevenpinsc1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I have been doing more research and found out after talking to Sony that my problem is the video card. Many Sony Vaio's with Nvidia graphics have had problems. Sony is going to replace the card under warranty. Thanks for your help.

G

There was a case 2 years ago when Nvidia shipped faulty GPUs (8400M GT?) to all major manufacturers. Some companies offered a BIOS patch to have the fan always on, others offered a limited period for recalls.

If you're unlucky enough to discover this problem now, then I really fear for the worst. Read the following from Sony to check what you need/can do: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?template=EN&news_id=349 Check your Vaio model, GPU, see if they're in the affected list, then call them up.