Sony Vegas Crashes with Long/Large Video File

Clip

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
I have recorded long gameplay footage using OBS and the file is a .Mp4 and is almost an hour and a half long. I can insert the raw video file into Sony Vegas and I can transfer it to my timelime. As soon as I try to play the video and preview it through the preview window, my vegas stops responding. I've tried doing some research on this problem and I've tried everything from reducing the preview quality, turning off GPU acceleration and making sure my video settings match project settings. When I reduce preview quality, I get a still image and the audio works. But how could I fix the still image? I also noticed that my CPU reaches 80 - 95% Usage. I have used Sony Vegas before with shorter files and I have not had this problem. Is my CPU not handling this? Am I little too short on ram? Any suggestions?

Another mention might be that even trying to watch the video in windows media player, I have troubles skipping around because it takes so long to load even if it's a couple minutes ahead.

Processor AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

RAM 8.0 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit

Gamer Haq

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
This happened to me once. Just don't do anything when you are rendering. If that doesn't solve it check you Preferences.
1) Options>Prefrences>General: Here uncheck the box where it says "Close the media File when no the active application".
2) Options>Prefrences>Video: Check your "Dynamic Preview Max" then Check your "Maximum number of rendering threads" then set "GPU acceleration of video processing to "Nvidia Corporation (Geforce GTX 970)".

This is the only advice I can give you. Did you try importing a different clip? And does it still crash with that clip?

Clip

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

I recorded some clips 20 seconds long and imported them and It works fine because it is a shorter clip of course.. I have used a video splitter to split the 1hr30m clip into 3 half hour long clips, and when i tried to insert part 1 into my timeline it took an abnormally long time ( even longer than the original long clip) to "Build Peaks". Then after waiting I tried to play the video and the preview screen remained black and my vegas stopped responding once again. So I deleted the large clip and I will be unable to try your settings until I make another large clip. Maybe I will try to record with Nvidia shadowplay for the same amount of time and see if i get different results.

side note, Ive noticed my CPU run high but also My disk usage ran high too when trying to watch the video via the media player on windows.