Sony Vegas Pro 12 Render help.

ECaarnage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Me and a bunch of friends have created a YouTube channel and I have volunteered to be the editor because I have a little bit of experience with editing and this would help me to get better at it. I have 1920x1080 resolution. One of them have 1680x1080 and a few other resolutions that I can't remember. I am just unsure how I can render their clips. What render setting do I use. And if I have a montage. With different clips with different resolutions what do I do? Any Help is greatly appreciated :)

thently

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
just render at 720p or 1080p depending on how big you want the files to be.. 1080p will play just fine on a 1680x1050 screen it is auto scaled and you won't notice still looks good.

Thent

ECaarnage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

How much of a difference would you notice between a clip that is from 1080p res and that?

Are you referring to the video resolution (the resolution the footage was shot at) or the monitor resolution? As previously mentioned by Thent, you shouldn't see much of a difference, if any, in the quality of the video. If all of the footage was shot at the same resolution then this shouldn't be a problem at all. If you are mixing 720p and 1080p clips then outputting it at 720p should solve the problem. Scaling down the 1080p to 720p would be better than trying to upscale the 720p to 1080p.

ECaarnage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

I am referring to the screen resolution and I am assuming they are recording at that resolution. I will make sure if I mix clips with different resolutions I will put them at 720p. So everything should all work fine like that? When I render should I render with "Internet 720p" when mixing the clips?

Is this a screen capture? I only ask because you said you were referring to the screen resolution. If 720p is the lowest common denominator then it should be fine. As for rendering at "Internet 720p" I would do a test render and see how it compares to something like H.264 720p. I only suggest this as I usually render using H.264 when I am posting on YouTube and am not sure how it compares to "Internet 720p". Just out of curiosity, are you and your friends recording game play?

ECaarnage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

I will try and compare it the 2 render settings. We are recording gameplay. I think most of the guys are recording with FRAPS. I am going to have to ask everyone their screen resolutions. Is 1366x768 720p? Because I think someone had that.

ECaarnage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

What I am curious about is whether the resolutions like 1680x1050 and 1366x768 will be fine for 720p. Also Me and on of my friends got a really good gameplay to upload. I was wondering whether it would be possible to have the video with the screen on me while I am in the good part and change it to him while he gets it. Because it would be pretty cool to do if I could.

The only suggestion I have to take a short segment of both of the clips and render it at 720p. With the short clips it won't take as long to render and you can preview to see how it looks. If you are not happy with the output you could experiment with 1080p and see how that looks. If I understand you correctly you want a clip of you followed by a clip of your friend. If yes, this should not be a problem. You can either cut the clip of you where you want it to end or use the ripple edit tool to shorten the clip and then follow with the clip of your friend.