Sony: We Can't Make More Movies Thanks to Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

N19h7M4r3

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Since when does sony give a crap? lol they are only worried about their own asses, plus the really small independent companies who dont have an international audience are probably gona put it up for free viewing somewere to start up those audiences... not that many people think about paying for and indie movie from some place, someone who no ones ever heard of...

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
The industry that made a movie based on the Dukes of Hazard and is working on one based on The A-Team is wondering where the profits went? I'm thinking that 1 in 3 movies is not even worth the time to download, let alone pay $20 to see in a theater ($20 does not include cost of drinks and popcorn or $7 candy bars)

LOL!

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
A better statistic to show the alleged decline of movie production would be the dollars spent on movie production, not the number of movies produced. A lower number of titles does not necessarily mean a lower amount of money spent. And also, the rise in video games also has a huge impact on movie sales, don't forget about that little statistic.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
While piracy is a problem we shouldn't be mislead here. Sony is looking out for Sony, not the small film maker. The internet can help small film makers succeed where they wouldn't have before. Just look at what the internet has done for Red Vs Blue! Rather than evolve and find a new way to make money, Sony is mostly just complaining here.

G

First off....I'm not in favor of pirating anything but......

Why does Sony and other think that the people pirating the movie would actually go and pay for it? If you are willing to watch a cam, chances are you WOULD NOT pay for it in a theater. To those that have 1000's of songs....Would you have that many if you had to pay for each one? NO!!

Again, I'm not making a case for Pirating, I'm just pointing out that there may actually be very little revenue that is lost because many of the pirated files, just wouldn't be paid for.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I've always wondered, is there not a technology that theaters could deploy that would not interfere with a person watching a movie, but would saturate a video camera or in some way render the image useless, especially with CCD based cameras? I'm sure that a great deal of pirating goes on by some of the theater operators themselves, but it would remove the crappy shaky cam budget jobs from taking place.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
mikemiller7 said it best. The people who are willing to watch a cam version of a movie are certainly not the types who are going to pay 8-20 dollars to watch a movie in a theater. This is just another example of the movie/music industry grossly overinflating the impact of piracy on their sales figures, when the reality is that the economic depression which deeply affected most developed countries is far more likely the cause of the reduced number of films made.

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Look, I paid for Wolverine despite the fact I knew it was available to download. Lots of people did. Hollywood-type need to stop harping on how many fewer Porsches will be in the driveway and concentrate on how many ARE...

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Sony's comment is blatantly single sided; they forget that nowadays people buy more and more gaming consoles, including the Wii, PS3, Xbox360, Nintendo DS, etc, and PC's; these games have been seling more and more, becoming more and more realistic; I've just read a study from Jon Peddie Research that says that from the second to the third trimester, there has been the largest increse in NINE years un graphic cards sales - 120 million beating the former record of 111 million from the third semester of 2008. - Graphics cards are becoming cheaper, more people are buying them and playing games.

People are also spending more time online, in social networks such as facebook, and also twitting, blogging, in second life, etc, sending more and more sms, playing games on their iPhones, and Nokias and whatever.

Sony has to get over it: the day still only has 24 hours and people are having more stuff to spend their leisure time on. Start making games. Oh, wait, you do, you just started with an onverpriced console with a CPU that's hard to program on, Wii and Xbox are only now starting to be at your reach. Well, don't complain so much, adapt. Lowering the price and releasing a slim version was a good starting point.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"...to the theater instead"

-Well lets see..
2 tickets $10 each (Ripoff)
1 bucket of popcorn $7 (Ripoff)
2 large pops $5 each (Ripoff)
Total $37 for a night at the movies.
OR
$2.99 to rent a movie on the playstation
($4.99 at blockbuster)
2 $1 pops
$5 for 2 large buckets of popcorn from blockbuster
Total $14 for a night at home in a comfy couch with surround sound and a big screen TV.

What the hell would you expect? I stop going to movies a while back. Mostly cause now I have surround sound and a big HDTV. PLUS it's WAAAAYY cheaper!

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
If these dolts at Sony ever saw a cammed movie, they'd know the background chatter's nearly always in Russian, so the comment about releasing in the states being the problem is patently stupid.

Most theater companies pay a bonus for catching people trying to record movies, like a month's pay for someone earning minimum wage.

I don't know, I haven't watched one in a long time. None of the new releases are all that compelling, and when they are, I kinda like IMAX if I don't want to wait on the DVD release.

dhowie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I think Sony makes a good point, we are all really in sad moral delema, I as we speek, have utorrent getting me the entire Miley Cyrus collection. To think i could of went to the store and spent a good 30-40 bucks......

zirbmonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Pixar doesn't have this problem. How about you make movies people want to see?

They can blame pirating, but that's not true. It's supply and demand. Make good movies, and people will pay to see them. People spend a set amount of money on entertainment, regardless of the season. If your company doesn't entertain, they spend that money elsewhere.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
it is really bad. I don't even want to post my silly efforts on you tube. imagine making a career out of movie making...I hope they come up with something. how hard could it be to stop piracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.