Sony: Wii Owers Will upgrade to PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Don't be surprised that one day Sony and Ninentendo get in bed and decide to make Wii games playable on the PS3 through an emulator. Oh man.

G

"European consumers have understood the total value proposition that comes with the PS3, and are not focused solely on pricing" - yeah I'm focused on that that it's expensive, hasn't got a huge amount of exclusives yet and Blu-ray has yet to convince me. On the upside Sony seems more acceptive to modding and hardware failures are less.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
FYI - My PS3 still has a burned out Blue-ray laser. Everything works but can't play any of my games, dvds, or Blu-rays. Been stuck playing demos for 6 mos now since Sony is a dick about it. Total hours used approx. 85 hours. My XBOX 360 has about 750 hours on it - while it crashes every 30 hours or so at least it works.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]starryman[/nom]Don't be surprised that one day Sony and Ninentendo get in bed and decide to make Wii games playable on the PS3 through an emulator. Oh man.[/citation]
Kinky

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
...I thought the N64 was competing against the PS1.

I for one am switching to PS3 when the price is right (maybe when they lower the price in 5-10yrs or so.) But only since its a Blu-ray player that just happens to play video games.

snowysoul

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Dream on Sony! After reading about all the programming difficulties that developers have had with the PS3 I doubt it. Also Sony has also said before on how they made the programming language difficult, and their reasoning behind this. Well Sony wanted the games to look better as programmers got more accustom to programming on the PS3. However this seems to have been a bad decision in hind sight and Sony should be helping programmers out to help elevate all this. Valve has openly stated how they just wanted to design a good game and make it fun with worrying about the little details that the PS3 language would of had problems with. I own a PS3 and a 360, and have bought many games for the PS3 over the 360 however since more games are only 360 like Fable 2, Halo 3, Left 4 dead. I regret getting a PS3 because Sony refuses to notice their mistakes and correct them. Also WAY to much money for a system that even game companies try to get away from. Mainly because they cost just way to much for so few games.

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
If I was gonna upgrade from a wii it would be to an Xbox 360 . . . I love how this Sony Exec is so cocky about they're overpriced, non profiting Console.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I think he is confused as to what an "upgrade" is. But I guess he might be right, there are 28 million more Wii owners out there I bet at some point some of them might want to get a nice blu-ray player and continue playing video games on their Wii. Although I don't think that is the kind of sales he is looking for.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I've had the PS3 for about a year and recently got hold of an X360 refurb unit. While the PS3 box is quieter and the gameplay is fine, quite frankly, the X360 offers much more features than the PS3. Its game library is much more robust and with the recent addition of viewing Netflix right from the console, I see the X360 retaining its lead, at least in North America.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
First of all the N64 was competing with the Playstation 1, not PS2. This is a different scenario since the N64 was a previous generation system, not the same generation. Secondly, the PS2 was the number one selling console, thats why a large amount of people switched over from N64, because it was the "it" system to own and they tons of exclusive games you couldn't get on Game Cube or Xbox. Currently the PS3 in in thrid place. Also Sony has already stated that their current sales numbers for PS2 will turn into future sales numbers for PS3. How many systems are they going to claim that for? Many people only buy one system and thats it. I own all three, but I'm not most people. And for the record, the only system I really play is Xbox 360, and my PSP.

G

wow this article read my mind! I was planning to buy a PS3 as soon as it got a price cut, and it would replace my Wii

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Your logic is faulty Mr. House. The PS2 did not directly compete against the N64, but against the Game Cube, Dreamcast, and original XBOX. It was the PS1 that competed against the N64. The PS1 was the winner of that horse race because it was cheaper for consumers, as well as cheaper and easier for developers to develop games for than the N64 or the Sega Saturn. That's how it won over FF7 and the rest is history.

So of course how can the PS3 not win over the cheaper and easier to make games for Nintendo Wii? Oh, wait..........

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I don't own a Wii but I will definitely upgrade to a PS3 when there's another price cut.

Though I'm not sure what this article is talking about with "Wii Owers" Who owes the Wii? What? :)

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I think it's kind of sad that sony still thinks it can pull the PS3 out of the can. It's practically a dead console.

A pity too... since there would be a lot going for it had things went differently.

mantismn

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
As a testament to the "playability" or desire for PS3s, my buddy has owned every gamming system made since the original NES, including both the Wii and 360, so of course he got a PS3. For the last 3 YEARS, he's let me "borrow" it. I've played maybe 3 games on it, but mostly use it for Blu-Rays or watching files off a flash drive. He "borrowed" it back once when FFVII:AC:Complete came out, and it was back at my house within 2 days. Both of us play our 360s or PCs way more.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the PS3 or anything, in fact I was a huge supporter of it when it came out. The design of the hardware is theoretically superior vs. the other two (too bad Sony shot themselves in the foot by making people program for it in ancient Mayan dialects) I just can't see the populous (even the stoopid people) droppin money for the PS3 when the 360 has such an extensive library.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I hate to say, but PS3 was dead in the can before it even launched.
The Wii and Xbox360 blew it out of the water. Only thing Sony's got is the blu-ray. The PS3 was a promising system, just too bad it quirked out.
Seriously, the Wii is fun to play and the 360 is like "why bother w/ PC games?" with it's online stuff and selections.
In the end, its all about the games and playstyle. Sony dropped the ball hard. Ashame.. I remember the PS2 launch and how cool a launch it was

Status
Not open for further replies.