Sony's PSP2 Does Quad Core Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]makotech222[/nom]isnt supposed to be a portable PS2? not a portable xbox?[/citation]
I think xbox is mentioned only as an comparison of what kind of computing power will soon fit in our pockets.

How much will it cost?

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
I don't mind 250 USD for a good handheld. I still have my 1st White PSP when it came out. It has never failed me. I even dropped it a couple of times. Also the wipeout series on the PSP was good.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
LMFAO omg, dev's complain about difficulty of multicore consoles, SO HEY lets add cores to the PSP2! and lets throw in a new psp to make things even better!

like they weren't having trouble selling their psp's in the first place....smh.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Didn't Sony learn it's lesson from the 9000 cores in the PS3 that no one can figure out how to use? I smell another money loss for Sony.

But, then, the only product I've ever liked from them is my CD player.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
If it has a decent multimedia platform (a good sound chip with some actual power) and more than one video codec with flash lite web browsing it might be able to make it as a multimedia platform which the first failed at. Also hopefully there will be better games for it...

G

Why people still saying that the PSP fails at selling? 50 million units are a failure?

G

Wasnt the Xbox a 733MHz PIII-Celeron with 256MB of SDRAM and a Geforce4 equivalent? Man, thats some horsepower... Not so say it didn't do it's job well, but that kind of horsepower is nothing to brag about!

hallic7

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]LMFAO omg, dev's complain about difficulty of multicore consoles, SO HEY lets add cores to the PSP2! and lets throw in a new psp to make things even better!like they weren't having trouble selling their psp's in the first place....smh.[/citation]

Ok so your limited brain capacity will stay gaming on single core for 50 years to come!! way to go!!! Tip: technology evolves, as well as programming techniques.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
this seems to be were sony was trying to go with the PS3, using a common architecture for gfx and cpu (they were experimenting with having another cell processor and software rendering rather than having a gfx card).
this, i think, is a brilliant idea, and while it is DIFFERENT than current archetectures, meaning it will take time to get used to, it will ultimately be simpler (and hence, more efficient and power friendly). for the ps3, they were trying to turn a CPU into a GPU, for this they will try and turn a GPU into a CPU, but its all just semantics really, it all rides on the common architecture they choose. I mean, in all likelihood they will fail again, but I commend them for trying.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
YAY!
The PSPgo was a major dissapointment...
The PSP was a much sexier peice, and apparantly hardware wise, the PSPgo is the same thing anyways.

But yeah...
Will it run Crysis? (At all minimum setting and like 300x200 res.)

G

I also wonder why having a quadcore graphics processor on a 800x480pix-like screen?
Then again, the quad core is only running at 200Mhz, between a third and a fourth of the frequency of the desktop graphic cores.

What bothers me about the psp, is that it's too thin to hold, and probably only good for kids upto 13 years of age.
Anyone older will have to cramp their hands in a rather strange position to play. Also it's battery life seems not very promising (about 3 hours?). For my regular PSP I could purchase a grey market battery extension for $20, which could bring the old PSP's battery life up by another hour or 3.
I don't know if this will be possible with current PSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.