Sophos Home Protection - Cannot Restore "Cleaned" File, Please Help!

Mr Burns

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
So when I heard that Sophos had finally released a Home Version of their Popular Business Antivirus, I couldn't wait to install it on my computer.

However, I'm having some issues...

First thing that is a bit of a faf is that to change any of the settings you have to log in to the home dashboard each time. This includes setting exceptions of files and websites etc that you don't want to be blocked.

This morning I've tried to run one of my applications, which I've used many times before, but I couldn't, because Sophos had blocked a file that was needed to run the application. Usually when this happens, I'd go into the Quarantine and simply restore the blocked file.
I couldn't do this with Sophos..
I went into the Home Dashboard, and looked at the alerts. It said that the "threat" had been "cleaned" but there was no option to restore the file. I tried adding an exception for the folder and the file in both the "Potentially Unwanted Application Exceptions" box and the "Antivirus Protection Exceptions" box but it was no use...
I checked the folder and the file is gone :(

Which means I can no longer use the application.
Does anyone know what to do??

When an AV product says a file has been "cleaned" it most often means it's been deleted since that's the quickest and most thorough way of getting rid of the infection, rather than trying to extract the infection without damaging the file (which is almost always impossible anyway).

You will have to re-install the affected application, but before attempting to run it, set the necessary exceptions in your AV dashboard. You may even have to disable your AV temporarily whilst re-installing the application.

Mr Burns

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

But every other Antivirus Product I have used sends the file to Quarantine where it can't do any harm (if it is indeed malicious). This is impertinence of Sophos for releasing a product that deletes peoples files permenetely with no way of getting them back.

I've had to uninstall this application, and instead I've installed Sophos Endpoint Security and Control. Sure it's designed for Business use, but at least it has a Quarantine Facility and you can change the settings whithin the program.