Apr 21, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to use Zone 2 HDMI video out on my AV receiver and would like to know if anyone can recommend a passive sound bar for the TV?

Zone 2 will be used for the TV in the Kids room, so doesn't have to be a high end sound bar.

Planning to connect the HDMI directly to the TV and then run a audio cable for the sound bar.

You can't use a passive soundbar since the TV will not have an amp built in to drive one. Even if it has a headphone jack that won't be enough to drive a passive soundbar.
Make sure that the soundbar has the correct input to match the audio output of the TV.
You don't mention price range but I think a decent soundbar is worthwhile since it will be clearer at low volumes. You don't want one with a subwoofer. Something like this might be good
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/speakers/tv5-v2

Apr 21, 2018

I was looking to run the audio cable from the AV receiver, so HDMI Zone 2 to the TV and audio cable from AV receiver Zone 2 (typically stereo only) hence the passive speaker. This will allow me to have a central location for AV control. So I can share inputs like Apple TV, Sat, Xbox, Media centre, etc. to the kids TV without having to purchase additional devices. Kids TV speakers are weak so hence the sound bar.

Is there a better way to share TV services to 2 TV's?