sound bar question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb719

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
I am looking to purchase a really good sound bar - I am open to suggestions - there seem to be a lot of them. The Sony HT ST9 looks good but the Bose 130 also looks good - both are highly rated. I also don't understand exactly how a sound bar works - I know it's virtual surround but does it matter if the source is 2 channel or 5.1? My cable box and blue ray support 5.1 but the TV only supports 2.1 - so it's confusing to me. I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer. Thanks.

A lot comes down to being able to hook it up. There are 20 soundbar threads a week on here where people can't really hook them up because they bought before exploring the options.

Usually all there devices are HDMI and they buy a soundbar with no hdmi inputs, so they have to hook everything up to the TV, then come out from the TV, but then the TV only has coax optical out and then soundbar has toslink optical, so then they need a converter, but, and all kinds of problems. lol. It gets complicated if you have a smart TV, because then you need to get the sound out of the TV and into the soundbar. This is where ARC comes into play.

How much are you looking to spend. How many devices do you use. Is your TV a smart TV and what model.

Status
Not open for further replies.