Sound card or headphones?

maxinternet23

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I won't have a wall of text here, I'll just cut to what is necessary :)

So, I have about £100 to spend on some audio upgrades for my computer. What I want to know: is it worth buying £100 headphones, if I am only using my motherboard sound? My motherboard costed me about £35, It says it is 8.1 surround sound.

So, I can 1: Buy expensive headphones, and use them with the on-board motherboard sound
Or, 2: Buy some fairly cheap headphones and a sound.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

i have an integrated soundcard pushing sound through my $1200 sound system and it sounds perfectly fine. however, i did buy a $300 motherboard with a reputable integrated sound card.

if you budget right, you could buy both.

as far as sound cards go, $20 soundblaster live cards work fine. there really isnt a need for $50+ cards unless you need the options.

as far as headphones go, they might be a little hard to budget but they are perfect: audiotechnica ath-m50

eric8705

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
ive recently purchased a soundcard, which definitely boosted my audio quality on my pc.
ASUS XONAR DX
http://www.eio.com/p-30609-asus-xonar-dx-71-channels-pci-express-x1-interface-sound-card.aspx
but there are cheaper sound cards out there that you can fit into your budget.

i also occasionally run live sound, and i was in need for new headphones so i decided to invest in one, which were: SONY MDR-7506
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320359174&sr=8-1
i honestly love them. fit comfortably. i sometimes forget that im even wearing them.

umm.. these INDIVIDUALLY fit your budget, but... both of them really were good purchases for me.

personally though, i think i would go with #1 and go with headphones first and try considering buying a soundcard in the near future. youll use your headphones more then the soundcard.