Soundbar only sometimes passes bass to the sub

k.norberg97

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
I have a 55 inch Philips tv and a Monoprice soundbar with wireless subwoofer.

I've been having an issue where sometimes the bass doesn't get passed from the soundbar to the subwoofer.

If I am using the Chromecast (not built-in to the tv) to steam Netflix or Youtube, it passes the bass to the subwoofer and everything works as intended.

However, if I cast Spotify to the tv, it will only play mids and highs, and the subwoofer is completely silent. Also, if I use an HDMI source coming from my computer, the soundbar works but the subwoofer is silent still. Bass comes from my subwoofer connected to my desk speakers, however.

I have my TV connected to my soundbar via an optical cable and the built-in speakers on the tv are disabled to allow my TV to passthrough all audio to the soundbar. The subwoofer is connected wirelessly to the soundbar.

Any thoughts?

k.norberg97

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from k.norberg97 : "Soundbar doesn't always send bass to the sub"

I have a 55 inch Philips tv and a Monoprice soundbar with wireless subwoofer.

I've been having an issue where sometimes the bass doesn't get passed from the soundbar to the subwoofer.

If I am using the Chromecast (not built-in to the tv) to steam Netflix or Youtube, it passes the bass to the subwoofer and everything works as intended.

However, if I cast Spotify to the tv, it will only play mids and highs, and the subwoofer is completely silent. Also, if I use an HDMI source coming from my computer, the soundbar works but the subwoofer is silent still. Bass comes from my subwoofer connected to my desk speakers, however.

I have my TV connected to my soundbar via an optical cable and the built-in speakers on the tv are disabled to allow my TV to passthrough all audio to the soundbar. The subwoofer is connected wirelessly to the soundbar.

Any thoughts?

This is often configuration. When receiving dolby multichannel signal, the sub automatically get his and comes on. When receiving plain stereo signal, you often have to tell the system, use all speaker/sub anyway, not just L+R, part of the soundbar's bass management configuration and codec (mode) selection.

k.norberg97

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

How would I go about telling the system to use all speakers/sub in my setup? Is that a setting I would find in the Google Home app for the Chromecast? I'm sure I'd have to tweak my sound settings for the tv in Windows, right?