Soundcard connected to TV, but no sound

JumJumJR

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
I am having a dilemma. I am connecting my HDTV's speakers to my newly built HTPC's sound card using a digital audio cable, but there is no sound. I'm very inexperienced with home audio, so any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

My soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy RX 7.1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102063&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Solution
Maybe even consider a Sound bar, those are fairly cheap and will usually have optical inputs.

Just so the sound card you bought isn't wasted, i understand.

boju

Distinguished
You are using optical? Make sure the TV has an optical in and not out as some only have out if they have HDMI. If its an optical input, just need to enable S/PDIF either through Window's Audio Playback Devices or in Creative's Audio Software.

JumJumJR

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
I'm using a AMD apu with onboard graphics, but the mobo I'm using has a HDMI port. Will it make any difference?

And excuse the stupid question, but if I'm connecting through my mobo's HDMI port, won't I be using onboard sound instead of my soundcard?

boju

Distinguished
The dilemma you're facing is since the TV doesn't have an optical in, your only choice for sound from the sound card is using the standard audio jacks which means changing the TV channel. That wont work obviously.

There are only two real options, either use the APU's sound, not 100% sure but think it does have. Or get a surround sound unit with optical in so you can use the sound card which means avoiding the TV speakers.

boju

Distinguished
Or a set of Logitech speakers if space isn't a constraint for under a $100 to work with your standard analog jacks; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA69222H5255&cm_re=logitech_speaker-_-36-121-044-_-Product

surround-sound-speakers-z506.png

logitech_z506_speakers_03.jpg