Hjgrove

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Hi there,
Today I repaired a speaker, the positive wire had just came out so I re-soldered it back together.
It worked fine for about five minutes and then a massive squealing noise came from the speaker followed by smoke pouring out of the tweeter.
Is there a short in the wiring or has the whole woofer blown?
Thanks!

Solution
Tweeters are pretty sensitive. They can blow quite easily unlike a mid or woofer driver. I have seen blown a few tweeters and speakers in my day!

If the tweeter is being damaged, best to see if the crossover is ok. Also, a crappy amp with not enough power can do that also. When an amp clips, it can produce sounds that fry the tweeter. Receivers for the most part have average at best amps and the cheap ones pretty much suck but are decent for 2.0 but if they have to drive 5 speakers, watch out!

Yes. you can replace the tweeter but drivers in speakers are designed for that cabinet. For example it can be like putting a square peg into a round hole. You can force it in and sound wise it may not work well.

In terms of age of the...

Hjgrove

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
UPDATE #2: Speakers working fine!
Unfortunately, the tweeter driver has blown, but at least the woofer still works.
For anyone who has this issue, to see if its the tweeter simply put your hand over it whilst its playing and then take it off, you should hear a difference in sound if it works and no difference in sound if its blown
Hope this helps!

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished

you can get replacement tweeters from somewhere like partsexpress.com
I can help you find a suitable replacement if you let me know the make and model of the tweeter and speakers.
I am concearned that there is a further problem for the tweeter to blow like that though. cheers.

Hjgrove

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Thanks!
The speakers quite a old model, its a denon sc-m2, its probably obsolete by now.
And I agree, tweeters don't normally just "Blow", I wonder if there was a short? or maybe a cross between another wire?
Thanks loads!

Tweeters are pretty sensitive. They can blow quite easily unlike a mid or woofer driver. I have seen blown a few tweeters and speakers in my day!

If the tweeter is being damaged, best to see if the crossover is ok. Also, a crappy amp with not enough power can do that also. When an amp clips, it can produce sounds that fry the tweeter. Receivers for the most part have average at best amps and the cheap ones pretty much suck but are decent for 2.0 but if they have to drive 5 speakers, watch out!

Yes. you can replace the tweeter but drivers in speakers are designed for that cabinet. For example it can be like putting a square peg into a round hole. You can force it in and sound wise it may not work well.

In terms of age of the speakers, they do age but a good quality old speaker is still better then a cheap new speaker. I'm not a fan of Japanese speakers but these Denon's are built in England. These are some quality speakers. IF you can find a replacement tweeter go for it but you might be able to score two SC-M2's on ebay for the same price of getting an exact match tweeter.

IF you don't want them, send them to me. I'm sure I can find somewhere to put them! Do not by any means throw these away.

be seeing you, the Prisoner...

Solution

Hjgrove

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Thanks! I think my amp may have clipped then, I did hear a weird noise from the speaker and then bang.