Speaker Wire Hookup

Apr 1, 2018
I have a set of old medium-sized speakers I'd like to hookup to my interface via speaker wire, but I have no clue how to do this. Do I need an amplifier? I've read about banana plugs and spring clip adapters, but I'm still lost on how to connect them correctly. A short, simple explanation for how this process works would be greatly appreciated.
My interface is a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD. The speakers have spring clip connectors on the back.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
You have to get an amplifier to power your passive speakers.
The amp would connect to either the playback or main out on the Behringer. Check the manual. You don't have to use connectors on the speaker wire in most cases. It's just neater and if you need to disconnect and reconnect often easier.
The main outs are balanced which would require adapters or cables with XLR on one end and RCAs on the other to connect to an amp with RCA unbalanced inputs.
It would be best to know the impedance of the speakers and how much power they need to get the right amp to drive them.
You have to get an amplifier to power your passive speakers.
The amp would connect to either the playback or main out on the Behringer. Check the manual. You don't have to use connectors on the speaker wire in most cases. It's just neater and if you need to disconnect and reconnect often easier.
The main outs are balanced which would require adapters or cables with XLR on one end and RCAs on the other to connect to an amp with RCA unbalanced inputs.
It would be best to know the impedance of the speakers and how much power they need to get the right amp to drive them.

Solution