Speaker Wire Question

Shmister

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Im going to connect my RB-61 Bookshlef Speakers to my Pioneer VSX 60, but im really confused now on speaker wire. From what i've read the lower the AWG the longer you can have the wire run, and the higher the smaller you should have it run. So my question is what should i use for my speakers if they are within 10ft of my receiver. Would 14gauge work? Im looking for the best possible wire that wont cause me problems or lack quality. (Possibly something i can pick up at home depot or Radio shack). Thanks, :)

Solution
Your bookshelf speakers you do not need anything more than 16-18 gauge at that distance. If you want minimal interference, make sure they are properly shielded, especially at exposed contact points. I would use 18 gauge for those, just because its cheaper and I doubt you will notice.

Unless you will be pushing these speakers to a far limit, your current will be extremely minimal through those wires, ESPECIALLY if those speakers have a high efficiency/sensitivity.

Also, unless you have a good ear and you listen to high quality music don't bother with expensive name brands like monster cable. Just get regular lamp wire in home depot and that will work just fine. Copper is copper, wire is wire. The expensive speaker wires are usually...

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Hi, I personally would not have the cable run out too far so as not to pickup any interference from other cables, namely power cables. the heavier the gauge and shielding will guarantee better audio signals going to the speakers themslves.
I have just looked at the speaker's your using and I think they deserve the best! I'm using Gale XL 315 which is very good I have some lesser grade cables but I can hear the difference with XL 315 so much, so yeah get the best you can.
As for AWG sorry I'm in the U.K but I think matching to the speaker's specs will suffice (8 ohms) hope all goes well for ya.
:wahoo:

my rear speaker wiring is at least 10-15ft long as it routes through the wall, under the floor and back up the rear wall. i'm using a spool of monster cable speaker wire which was actually not badly priced at $30/spool at best buy.

as far as interferences from power cables... the closest wire is about 1 to 1 1/2 feet from a power outlet without any issues but i agree with the above poster: try to keep it as far away as you can.

i'm using $1500 worth of sound equipment and everything sounds great to me.

i'm also using bananna clip ends on my receiver which make everything nice and neat. for the money you might want to think about it if your receiver supports it! my vsx-30 does.

Shmister

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks both above posters. I looked into getting banana clips just to make the receiver end so much easier (i think the vsx 60 supports it). I Appreciate the feedback :) Always so helpful.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Your bookshelf speakers you do not need anything more than 16-18 gauge at that distance. If you want minimal interference, make sure they are properly shielded, especially at exposed contact points. I would use 18 gauge for those, just because its cheaper and I doubt you will notice.

Unless you will be pushing these speakers to a far limit, your current will be extremely minimal through those wires, ESPECIALLY if those speakers have a high efficiency/sensitivity.

Also, unless you have a good ear and you listen to high quality music don't bother with expensive name brands like monster cable. Just get regular lamp wire in home depot and that will work just fine. Copper is copper, wire is wire. The expensive speaker wires are usually just shielded "Better" and perhaps have more "refined" conductor material that costs much more for a questionable benefit. However as I said, unless you have a REALLY good ear, listen to very high quality audio where you can hear noise then it will be fine.

Solution

Shmister

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks blackhawk, before i went out to the store to get some i checked my garage and found a box full of wire. Happened to be some monster cable in there though i cant tell what gauge, although its diameter is really thick. Probably will still head and gab some new wire cause this seems to be corroded a bit and will pick some banana plugs up.
Appreciate the help Cheers :)