Speakers have rca/composite imputs instead of normal speaker wire imputs?

Hutch7344

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
i use a Sony receiver with 5.1 surround sound and have that going to my pc, but i wanted to upgrade my speakers so i bought some new ones on amazon which are two rear and a subwoofer. but when i looked at them they only have inputs for rca (red and white) cables, but my receiver only has normal speakers wire inputs. i obviously should have read about them fully before i bought them but i just figured they would have speaker wire inputs since they are speakers. so my question is, is their anyway to connect them to my receiver and are rca cables just the standard now? Thanks in advance.

Solution
RCA plugs carry a low level signals and expect to be amplified to power the speakers. Most subwoofers now a days have build in amps. Look on the back of the Sony receiver and see if there are RCA outputs for rear and sub.

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
RCA plugs carry a low level signals and expect to be amplified to power the speakers. Most subwoofers now a days have build in amps. Look on the back of the Sony receiver and see if there are RCA outputs for rear and sub.

Solution

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
You can always cut one end off and then strip the rubber coating to expost the wires. Then use the ouside cable as the Ground or Black and the one on the inside as the Positive or Red.