Solved! Speakers or headphones for an apartment?

TYTSoldier

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Would a 2.0 or 3.0 speaker system (bookshelf and center) be fine for an apartment, or should I go with headphones? If I did speakers, I was thinking about CBM-170s and a CMT-340 SE CENTER. If that would be too loud for an apartment, I'd need to find some sort of adapter to use with my ATH M50x headphones with my Samsung TV that only has an optical port unless there are good wireless ones to use. I'd need something I could use for TV watching, PC gaming, and console gaming.

Solution
If you use passive speakers then you will need an AV receiver. That will have a headphone jack. That is the way to get the best quality of sound. I would suggest a Marantz or Denon receiver.
You want speakers that are clear at a low volume so you don't have to turn the system up to understand dialogue. The only way to know if you like a speaker is to listen to it and compare it to others.
A 3.0 system will have a center channel that will primarily handle dialogue. That's the advantage over a 2.0 system but it assumes equal quality. Two better speakers may be better than three worse ones. You can always add the center later if your budget doesn't stretch.
Without a subwooofer you will want left and right front speakers capable of some...
If you use passive speakers then you will need an AV receiver. That will have a headphone jack. That is the way to get the best quality of sound. I would suggest a Marantz or Denon receiver.
You want speakers that are clear at a low volume so you don't have to turn the system up to understand dialogue. The only way to know if you like a speaker is to listen to it and compare it to others.
A 3.0 system will have a center channel that will primarily handle dialogue. That's the advantage over a 2.0 system but it assumes equal quality. Two better speakers may be better than three worse ones. You can always add the center later if your budget doesn't stretch.
Without a subwooofer you will want left and right front speakers capable of some bass on their own. Very small satellite speakers don't work without a subwoofer.

Solution