Speakers to RCA Convertor

djawesome456

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Hello all,

I have two speakers that I bought a long time ago, as part of the LG CM4320 system. I now wish to use them as desktop monitors, as the sound quality is pretty good IMO and don't have the budget nor the want for other speakers. My issue is finding a suitable device to connect them to. I have seen several little cheap chinese units but I'm not too sure about their power capability and if they're safe or not. The speakers are capable of 160W RMS and have to be connected through conventional speaker wire.

How should I connect them to my PC?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Solution
The original main unit that came with those speakers was rated at 80 watts x 2. That will be a huge exaggeration on the actual amount of power since there is no standard on how power on mini systems is measured or presented (unlike regular stereo components). Might be 20 watts per channel in reality.
I would think that any amp that has a real 20-50 watts per channel will probably be fine. Depending on your budget a used stereo receiver, cheap basic amp (these are usually over rated for power but not as bad as mini systems) or Insignia stereo receiver will be fine.
Do you have the whole system or just the speakers?
It appears the amp/head unit (the center peice) has an AUX in jack so you can run a 3.5mm AUX cable from green headphone jack port on back of PC to that AUX port on your LG stereo.

If you only have the speakers then you need an amplifier and most likely a 3.5mm to RCA cable to go from the PC to the speakers.
If they are 160w RMS then a cheap Lepai 25W amp is not going to do much and you will need to drop $200 on a good stereo amp (or find a used one).

The original main unit that came with those speakers was rated at 80 watts x 2. That will be a huge exaggeration on the actual amount of power since there is no standard on how power on mini systems is measured or presented (unlike regular stereo components). Might be 20 watts per channel in reality.
I would think that any amp that has a real 20-50 watts per channel will probably be fine. Depending on your budget a used stereo receiver, cheap basic amp (these are usually over rated for power but not as bad as mini systems) or Insignia stereo receiver will be fine.

Solution