Speccy says my laptop's CPU is at 110+ °C but ...

Aug 21, 2014
In AMD Overdrive (the logging section), all my core's are indicating that they're at 35 °C (give or take), my laptop shut off twice today while playing World of Tanks, only other times it has ever shut off while gaming would be when playing Robocraft, my laptop is a HP envy ts 15, powered by AMD's APU A10 5750m with the integrated HD 8650g, the left side vents are cool, but as of writing this speccy is indicating 90 °C, HWMonitor is also indicating high temps, however, the iGPU is reporting 35 °C just like the other cores, but that is actually the same across all programs (speccy, HWMonitor and AMD Overdrive), I thought it could be a faulty sensor but then again this laptop is probably using the same thermal paste it came out of factory with (2 years ago), what do you guys think it? NOTE: the iGPU is inside the CPU so they should have the same or roughly same temps, yet speccy and HWMonitor says otherwise?

Agash

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
What were the temps when playing? 90 degrees Celsius when playing or idle? You also said it shuts off, this may be due to overheating or a hardware problem. When did this start happening? I'm guessing you bought the laptop 2 years ago, so no need to thermal paste change. Is the bottom of the laptop hot? Play WoT again and check the temps. Does the laptop shut off quickly or slowly like usual?

Aug 21, 2014
Couldn't say what the temps were when it shut off, it was hot, but it's gotten even hotter before and didn't shut off, at least today it shut off twice, it didn't happen before, only in Robocraft but i haven't played that in months, the bottom is usually cooler than the side vent when playing, and it shut off without warning and quickly, before shutting down it froze with bsod for like 5-10 seconds then said "page fault in nonpaged area", 2nd time screen changed to a weird white color, best i could discribe the screen is take a piece of paper, put it like a rectangle and draw faint black lines from the top to bottom after each half inch or so, gonna play wot and see the temps

Aug 21, 2014
That's what i was thinking, also i opened up my laptop and used a duster for computers, barely cleaned any dust, temps are same, but played WoT for an hour straight and the side vent are just warm (perfectly acceptable and within normal range of how a laptop should be)

Aug 21, 2014
it hasn't shut off for now, runs a bit cooler (after the duster), but just today i woke up to the "thermal shutdown caused by overheating" because windows 10 tought it was a good idea to run updates at mid night inside my backpack.

Aug 21, 2014
update: after i got out of class, i put my laptop in sleep mode, put it in my back pack and went out to eat, but when i returned and turned my laptop on it appeared again with the "thermal shutdown caused by overheating" message, starting to think windows 10 is responsible since i checked to see if it was off in sleep mode.

Agash

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Your laptop has Windows 10. It makes sense. Many people have reported that their laptop overheats because of Win10, I suggest you go back down to Win7 if you upgraded less than a month ago or try linux and see the temps. I recommend you getting a Win7 ISO, get WoT and see if it happens.

Aug 21, 2014
Laptop came with windows 8, later upgraded to 8.1 and then 10, off all o f them, 10 ran the most stable in terms of temps, it's turning on when i least expect it....in my back pack when i'm not using it, gonna have to leave it on the table but it's weird since it didn't do that before (by before i mean when i just got windows 10), and i don't wan't to revert cause it also has improved my gaming performance (still running drop dead low but high fps, WoT gets at average 50 fps).

Agash

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Okay. So this never happened on Win8 or earlier with Win10. It turns on when you least expect it. For me, I would install Win7 but in your case......try defragging and actually fully turn it off for 2 hours. Try running it without battery while plugged in just to see if theres anything with the battery. Honestly, try linux to see if that keeps happening. You can run "no more room in hell" and check the temps or haven benchmark.

Aug 21, 2014
it's been exactly a week since the last update, the computer hasn't turned of in my face, i can play wot (sometimes 60fps other times 30, depends on how cool it's running), it has shutten off in sleep by thermal overload again (like 3 times i think) but when shut off it doesn't do that, i'll keep using the shut off since it still boots up fairly quick, but with sleep mode i could get back to work quicker but meh, prefer using shut off than waking up my computer to a "thermal shutdown" message (which also means it has gotten really hot before, more times that it should have, and don't wanna risk it), so thank you all for your help.