Specs needed to run Portal 2

CameliaRose

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Will Portal 2 and Batman Arkham City run on a Toshiba Satellite S855D-S5148 ?
Here are the specs:

A-Series Quad-Core A10-4600M 2.3 GHz
8 GB DIMM
1 TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
AMD Radeon HD 7660G

and is $640 a reasonable price for this machine?

I want to replace my daughter's laptop and she really wants to run these two games. Thanks for any help.

D

Deleted member 217926

It should handle Portal 2 pretty well. Batman is a much more demanding game. While it will probably be playable the settings would likely have to be turned down quite a bit. $640 is reasonable for that machine although without shopping around for a few days I could not tell you if it's a great deal or only so-so. You are going to pay for a laptop that can game well.

CameliaRose

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Thank you so much. I looked on Notebookcheck and it said that Batman should run on that graphics card at low or medium. Not being a gamer, I don't know if medium is reasonable quality. They didn't list Portal 2 and I had thought it was a hard to run game, so it really helps to know it requires less than Batman. She's a college student who uses the word processor, internet, video streams, and light gaming (mostly those two games) and it's time to replace her 5 year old Dell. I can spend up to $800. Do you have a better recommendation than the Toshiba?

D

Deleted member 217926

I have looked at the deal sites and to be honest I don't really see anything in your price range that would be capable of the Batman game on anything but low settings. As I stated above you really pay for a gaming laptop. It's not the time of the year for laptops to be on sale. Just like with anything electronic there are certain times of the year when the best deals are offered and right now does not seem to be that time for laptops.

I check these sites every day.

http://www.logicbuy.com/

http://slickdeals.net/

On Logic Buy you can use the tabs at the top to just search laptops.

Here is a graphics card hierarchy chart. Laptops are denoted by the Go ( mobile ) for Nvidia and Mobility or Integrated for AMD.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Laptop makers put all kinds of features in the more expensive laptops but since gaming power uses batteries and creates heat generally only special gaming laptops even try to use powerful graphics chips. Battery power and heat are the enemies of laptops and dealing with those thing are why they get so expensive.

If you can look around for a week or two something may pop up. You can also try the Dell refurbished site. They have great deals sometimes and those units still have full factory warranties.

Sorry I could not be more help. Maybe someone will come along and have a great deal for you. These forums tend to be very helpful :)

Pyree

Distinguished
Yeah, the price to performance is unbeatable. Lenovo is also a good manufacturer. Also the 14" factor is slightly smaller than a 15", making it more portable. The Y400 can handle Batman Arkham City in high to ultra according to benchmark.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep, IBM's PC business was bought out by Lenovo in the mid 2000s. I seem to remember Congress not being happy with that lol. Oh well turned out pretty good for the consumer since IBM PCs were becoming a laughing stock and Lenovo made them high quality again. I will have to remember to check them in the future. Good find man.

TRENDING THREADS