Speed Fan freeware

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
OK, got the chopping block out...Neck is in position axe is raised....here goes.
Has anyone seen the software "Speedfan"
SpeedFan 4.19
OS: Win9x/Me/NT/2k/XP Download Homepage Rating: 5/5 - 1.4Mb
Freeware
SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors fan speeds, temperatures and voltages in computers with hardware monitoring chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info and show hard disk temperatures too, if supported.
<A HREF="http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/mon_e.html" target="_new">http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/mon_e.html</A>
I have seen several simular programs out there but this one has a clock feature that I wont even pretend to understand,<b>WHAT THE HEY</b> :frown:

!#&$ <font color=blue> :eek: </font color=blue>---<font color=red><i><b>It's not heavy,...it's my computer</font color=red></i></b>

RichPLS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
I use <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new"> Motherboard Monitor 5 </A> mainly because it is free. It monitors cpu temp, fan speeds, chipset temp etc.
Might want to check it out, as for this Speedfan s/w, never heard of it.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
What is SpeedFan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info for those hard disks that support this feature and show hard disk temperatures too, if supported. SpeedFan can even change the FSB on some hardware (but this should be considered a bonus feature). At the lowest level, SpeedFan is an hardware monitor software that can access temperature sensors, but its main feature is that it can control fan speeds (depending on the capabilities of your sensor chip and your hardware) according to the temperatures inside your pc, thus reducing noise and power consumption. Several sensors, like Winbond's and the AS99127F support fan speed changing, as well as others from MAXIM, MYSON, ANALOG DEVICES, NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTORS and ITE, but the manufacturer must have connected the relevant pins to some additional, yet trivial, circuitry. This means that if you have, say, a W83782D on a BP6 then you're ok, but not every motherboard with such an hardware monitor chip will be able to change fan speeds. From one of the very first hardware monitor chips that could be found in standard PCs, the National Semiconductors LM75 (and all of its clones, like the NE1617 and the NE1618) or the ADM1021, such chips have been greatly improved, both in their precision and in their capabilities. Current chips can monitor fan speeds, voltages and vary fan speeds bu using PWMs (Pulse Width Modulation). Some chips can even be programmed to vary fan speeds without any additional software intervention. If your BIOS was programmed to setup such chips this way you can still try to use SpeedFan's Advanced Configuration to revert to manual (software controlled) mode. W83697HF, ADT7463, EMC6D102, IT8712F, LM85C and MAX6650 are very good candidates. Some SuperIO chips include temperature sensors too. SpeedFan can automatically detect them and use their features. The most used are PC87366 and all of SMSC LPC SuperIO chips. SpeedFan can find almost any hardware monitor chip connected to the 2-wire SMBus (System Management Bus, a subset of the I2C BUS) Serial Interface and to the ISA BUS. SpeedFan works fine with Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, 2003 and Windows XP. SpeedFan can be minimized to the tray and is compatible with Motherboard Monitor 5.
It basically does what MBM5 does, minus the FSB adjustment feature which if for overclocking. This is not advisable to do, IMO, I have had poor experiences overclocking with software like Gigabytes software overclock utility, they are not as effective nor as stable as simply changing this in the BIOS. If you want to know your FSB speed, it is normally listed on the BIOS post at boot up, and can be accessed in the BIOS under memory settings.
Rich

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
yea i've got a couple of ways to check CPU, memory,etc but my mobo or bias wont allow me to oc this thing and it's driving me nuts not being able to play with it.If you know something that I dont about a secret menu in my bios then let me in on it...

the mobo is a hp made by MSI MS-6577 r3.1
bios is Phoenix Technologies ver. 3.15
Cpu is Intel Celeron 2600 Northwood 1.5v

!#&$ <font color=blue> :eek: </font color=blue>---<font color=red><i><b>It's not heavy,...it's my computer</font color=red></i></b>

mrface

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
yeah i use MBM5 as well.

"Never underestimate the predictability of Stupidity."
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Psychotic Sociopath.}=-</A>
<font color=blue>R.I.P. O.D.B.</font color=blue>

RichPLS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
I see your problem. Those HP rigs are solid for what they are, or can be upgraded to. But HP does not want users tweaking the BIOS, thus the lack of user settings.
You might find some minimal overclocking through software, but you might also just crash your system trying to find the right one, if there is a right one for your rig.
Software tweaking is not the way to go in my book, but there are utils out there that do this somewhat.
You might be able to find the closest match for retail MSI motherboard that was made at same time and specs as HP's varient, and use the MSI BIOS to flash your board to that, then you would be able to overclock via BIOS. But this is risky also, since HP could have made mods to the board which are not compatable with the retail version. If so, you would have to flash back HP's BIOS and be back at square one, and sometimes flashing back could fail rendering board useless.
Good luck.

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
welllll thanks any buddy, even if i want to change mobos this case is'nt full height and i have other boxes but you know its new and all oh well i only gave 250.00 bucks for it at wal-mart..it was a return and boy did it have a hd full of adware trackers etc when i got it

RichPLS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
Heck, the bright side is you do have a solid built PC for $250 :smile:

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
yep but still think i might search around for a different bios to flash...im kind of leary of doing it with the warranty and all..

RichPLS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
I spend to much on computer hardware myself.

I have:
Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra=64 board
P4 Prescott 3200
Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro
2 gig Corsair 2-2-2-5 DDR
74gig Raptor
2x250MB Maxtor Maxline drives
ATI X800XT PE video
ATI TV Wonder Pro Tuner
PCMCIA card reader
Plextor 712SA DVD writer
Black SF-201T Aluminum Case
Antec True 430watt PSU
CyberPower - 1500AVR-HO UPS