speed for video editing

than

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
Hi, guys: I have a P4 2.26 GHZ with DDR 333 1GB RAM. I am think to upgrade it to P4 3.0 with DDR 400 1GB RAM. My question is : How much fast is this system for video editing compared to my current one?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Your current P4 2.26 probably doesn't have hyperthreading does it?
The 3.0ghz proc will mostly likely have hyperthreading. That will make a decent performance increase for video editing provided the program you are using has multithreading support (can utilize multiple cpus).
Will your motherboard support a 200fsb (800fsb via "quadpump") proc? If you have to replace the mobo too it might not be worth it. Anything beyond the proc or ram usually ends up turning into a completely new computer :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

than

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
Thanks a lot. My system MB will only support the 133MHz not the 200MHz. It is better for me to wait for next upgrade for MB and CPU. Thanks again.

pat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2001
fast HDD performance is necessary too.. Think about RAID0

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Pat, I used to believe in your signature about blaming yourself. Yet, lately especially with my latest computer build I blame crap software and incompatiable hardware. SATA drivers and WIN not recognizing large drives and the OS not doing this and the otherthing. Throw in flanky BIOS and RAID and it's a big headache. Took me almost two weeks to get a new system up and running perfectly. Two F#@&#^G weeks! I blame hardware from now on......

<A HREF="http://www.ericstoffers.com" target="_new">(My little web site)</A>

WingDing

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
Are AMD CPUs totally inadequate for rendering and video editing work? I'm upgrading to 1 gig of RAM and have a decent Raptor HDD, but my CPU is a Barton XP2500+. I'll be using Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.

:eek: I don't only break your heart, I also break your pelvis :eek:

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
An equivilent pentium cpu to your barton 2500+ would probably render video a little faster (if it had hyperthreading). I think the tables have turned over to AMD with their new processors, especially the Opteron.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
not completely inadequate at all, in fact the high end ones are quite competent but P4 does still have the edge here. if you're building a machine which might be used for a bit of DV editing here and there, stick with a high end AMD, if you're gonna be doing a lot of DV work, go P4 and be prepared to get shedloads of extra cooling power.

...oh, and stacks of RAM