Spilled a small amount of coffee on my laptop, keyboard stopped working 20 minutes later, any fixes?

notpopwe

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
exactly like the topic, not working, already rebooted and turned off and on again, should I try a system restore? I don't mind a external keyboard, but first i want to make sure that the problem cannot be fixed first.

USAFRet

Illustrious

System Restore has nothing to do with fixing coffee in a keyboard. Take it completely apart and clean it.

notpopwe

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Can't find where to open it from, it is a Lenovo Ideapad P500, already unscrewed it, yet i cannot find a way to remove the bottom, all screws are out, yet nothing is any looser, already searched through the user manual, says nothing about opening it up

USAFRet

Illustrious

You'll either have to find a Service Manual, or a video online of how to take it apart.
In addition to the keyboard, some of the liquid likely seeped down below that.

If it was only water, standing it on edge and letting it dry for a day or so might work. But any other liquid....the solids in the liquid will resoldify, and make everything stick.

It needs to be actually cleaned.

There are online Youtube videos you can Google. Just put in your laptop model and "keyboard replacement" or similar.

When I replaced keyboard before (may be different from yours) it was something like THIS:
1) Pop out plastic piece just above keyboard
2) Unscrew the one or two screws
3) Lift keyboard out slightly
4) Unhook cable.

*If the PC isn't booting at all, even after removing the keyboard you have a more serious problem than just the keyboard not working.

If it DOES start working but only the keyboard has stopped then you may need to replace the keyboard. However, I doubt the keyboard is broken.

Give us an update on whether you see ANYTHING ON THE SCREEN, or hear beeps etc.

notpopwe

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Later on the computer went out so I went to a tech guy, he fixed it and found dog urine in, so he cleaned it up and it works now, I knew it was not the coffee because no coffee actually got near the openings, TY for the support tho