Spilled water on Acer Aspire E15 and it's not turning on?

May 16, 2018
Hi, everyone. I kind of feel stupid about this, but last night I was drinking some water and it started going down my windpipe. The result? I coughed a mouthful of water over my touchpad/bottom of keyboard. Thought I remedied the situation by sopping up the water right away and turning the laptop upside down to shake out any water that got into the cracks, but I guess not.

My laptop was working perfectly fine for 30 minutes before all the sudden a red icon with a white power symbol appeared in my taskbar and immediately after that, it shut off. Noticed that my laptop charger light was still on, so I didn't think it was totally broken. I did some googling and someone said to unplug the charger and try taking out the battery, but as you may know, my Acer Aspire E15 has an internal battery so I can't remove it easily. There is a reset hole I could use, but don't have paperclip for that.

Currently I have my laptop flipped over and I'm airing out the back of it. Something I thought was odd was how when I flipped it back over and lifted up the lid this morning, it powered on for a few seconds before turning off again.

Anyone have advice on what to do? Should I try an internal battery reset or something else? I only bought this computer 2 months ago, so I really don't want to buy a replacement laptop. Thanks for any help you can provide!

DSzymborski

Distinguished

Unfortunately, your impulse should have been to turn off the laptop *immediately*, not keep it running and wait and see if something bad will happen.

At this point, you're going to have to open up the laptop. It's the only way to see what's going on in there and make sure everything's dry. You can access the battery once it's opened.

But other than seeing if the battery's fried or something, your main option is to wait for it to dry and hope for the best. When you have any kind of liquid (except things like distilled water that don't conduct electricity), there are a multitude of different combinations of things that can go wrong.

May 16, 2018
Thank you for your responses! I suppose I'll try and let it dry out some more and not touch the power switch at all. Do you think I'll be able to access the battery since it's internal? There's lots of screws on the back of it, therefore I'm guessing I'll have to unscrew the bottom to remove it? Haven't removed a battery on this type of laptop before, so I'm a bit nervous about unscrewing it.

TRENDING THREADS