Spilled Zero Coke on my Alienware 14x

thompsownxd

Estimable
Jun 28, 2014
Hi, 5 hours ago I spilled Zero Coke on my Alienware 14x.
I spilled something like 50 ml, on the keybord.
It is the first time it happend so the first thing i did was taking a paper and trying to dry it off as fast as I can, 1 minute later (i did not turn it of immidiatly) the screen turned into a random colors all over the screen and right after it i turned it off.
Then I opened the laptop and all the components did not seem really wet, maybe a drop here and there, but I cleaned it off.
The leptop looks 100% dry, not tripping or anything.

Does Alienware 14x has ome protection of water (at this case zero coke)? what should i do next? what are the chances of making this leptop work?

Thanks so much for every one who answers.

Denis Stoikovski

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

:D zero coke i love how you just interjected that detail :D But seriously now, the laptop don't have water immunity still i spilled water on my acer aspire year ago and its still working http://www.amazon.com/Kai-Screen-Protector-Alienware-Customize/dp/B00B0MMRZ8 you can get this for futere its for the screen thogh if i were you i would panic cause this is expensive s**t see if the warrantie covers water damage or get it to your local pc fixer

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
yep. take it completely appart. buy yourself some 90% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a bunch of qtips... and carefully clean everything from one corner to the other. clean the boards, clean the wires... clean everything you can reach. let it sit for 15 minutes

reassemble it, and see if it works.

and no... i'm pretty sure you voided the warranty by spilling your soft-drink onto it.

USAFRet

Illustrious

It was working perfectly
You spilled Coke on it
Almost immediately it started acting up (screen colors).

Ergo, something that does not like to get wet, got wet.
Coke, or any other drink besides distilled water, contains a lot of solids. Evaporate the liquid, and it leaves behind a lot of residue. That needs to be cleaned out.

How to clean it? Take the thing apart and clean it.

ThompsoWn1

Estimable
Jun 28, 2014
its me from another computer.
so the residue harm the leptop? how?
what are the ways to clean is? i dont have distilled water.
if distilled water is the only way. would it matter if id do it now or later when i will buy it?
is there any liquid protector in the alienware 14x?

USAFRet

Illustrious
Right after you spilled Coke on it, it started acting up. Something is temporarily or permanently shorted out.
Cleaning just the visible liquid has nothing to do with whatever liquid made its way inside the device.

Take it apart and clean it.
Turn it on before you clean it, and you may kill something permanently.

ThompsoWn1

Estimable
Jun 28, 2014

thanks you, what liquilds would do the job except this spacial water?

USAFRet

Illustrious

isopropyl alcohol, or even regular water if done carefully. Clean the Coke out....

ThompsoWn1

Estimable
Jun 28, 2014
UPDATE:
I HAVE DISTILLED WATER! HOW DO I CLEAN EVERYTHING WITH IT?
SHOULD I ALSO CLEAN THE GREEN BOARDS OR ITS DANGEROUS (THAT MEANS I ONLY CLEAN VIDEO CARD, HARD DRIVE, ETC...)?
THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING TO ME

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
take it completely apart. buy yourself some 90% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a bunch of qtips... and carefully clean everything from one corner to the other. clean the boards, clean the wires... clean everything you can reach. let it sit for 15 minutes

reassemble it, and see if it works.

i'm quoting myself from earlier in the thread... DO NOT USE WATER

water corrodes parts, it does not evaporate quickly, and it conducts electricity... which means if the unit still has the slightest bit of charge in it when you start you can burn something out.

If you HAVE to use water, let it dry for a few days before reassembling it. I used water once on a psu... dunked it in a bucket of water actually. mostly because i didn't know if the compactors had any charge left in them, and the unit was caked with mud... i didn't feel like dying over a junked psu, and had nothing to lose. (left it to dry over a few days, unit worked fine) I've heard stories of people putting their motherboards or graphic cards in a dishwasher before. again... not something i would do unless you have no other options.

Do it the right way. clean it like i suggested. assuming you didn't burn anything out when your unit shorted out, you'll recover it just fine. it might be tedious, but then tedious lessons are often the best. i guarantee you'll be more careful around electronics afterwords.

ThompsoWn1

Estimable
Jun 28, 2014
So i cleaned everything with qtips and blotting paper, i put them in distilled water and after im done cleaning i took dry blotting paper and dried everything.
Now its in paper towel in the closit, upside down.

USAFRet

Illustrious
"Why?"
Did you take the entire thing apart, as suggested? And thoroughly clean/wash every part? If not.....you may let the magic smoke out.

Since we already have seen strange screen colors immediately after the Coke spill....no way to tell what may or may not be toasted.

ThompsoWn1

Estimable
Jun 28, 2014
I couldnt take EVERY thing out beacuse at some point i had to take some plastic off, i got all the plastic's screws out and it still did not come out.
The strange colors wasnt immidiatly, it was like 1 minute after.
Do you think 24 hours would be enough to let it dry?