Splitting my sound

Baogao

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014
So my setup is I have my laptop with an audio cord connected to a sound av receiver with speakers. I listen to Spotify while using my laptop and all of my sound comes out of the speakers. What I want to do is keep the Spotify music coming out of the speakers, but everything else come out of my laptop speakers. That way I can listen to music and it won't be interrupted with background noises. If there's another website that can give me answers please provide them.

Solution
If you have a smartphone or iPod touch, just install Spotify on that and run that to whatever speakers you want to use. You can even get a bluetooth audio adapter for the reciever so you can keep the cord in the PC if you want to switch sound to that. Otherwise the program will need to have the option to select the audio device manually.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I think you need two sound cards to make that work. Try to find a USB powered audio device, then you may be able to select the audio device that is used for specific applications. But that's not guaranteed to work either as your browser will use the default Windows audio device which naturally means whatever Windows uses for sound, Spotify will use too. If there is a Spotify app that can let you pick the audio device, that may work to use the second sound device.

You might be able to output sound via hdmi to the receiver if it has hdmi and not need a second sound card, but it will still require that a spottily program itself have the option to manually select the laptop speakers as the output source for that application.

If you have a smartphone or iPod touch, just install Spotify on that and run that to whatever speakers you want to use. You can even get a bluetooth audio adapter for the reciever so you can keep the cord in the PC if you want to switch sound to that. Otherwise the program will need to have the option to select the audio device manually.

Solution