Status
Not open for further replies.

synnchan

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Hello guys. I'm planning to buy an SSD shortly to reduce the lag I get while recording games with Fraps. My computer is already good, but my HDD's write speed is rather low, so I'll get an SSD to compensate it.

So, what would be the best option:

1) leaving Fraps, the game, and everything else on the HDD but choose the SSD as movie destination

2) putting fraps, the game and stuff on the SSD and recording to the SSD at the same time

I want the option that would give the less lag.

leeb2013

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
are you sure it's the HDD? I would think a HDD is more than capable of recording compressed 1080p video, particularly as they're not usually accessed much during game play.

Do you get lag, or low frame rate recording?

Have you checked your CPU usage during recording?

My system is no slouch and my fps drop a lot when recording BF4, albeit on 3 monitors.

synnchan

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I do get lag spikes occasionally, and when I'm recording more demanding games, the lag spikes are more frequent and sometimes it can't even record at full 60fps on certain parts.

That's normal with FRAPS recording, even on fast systems. An SSD will help things, but will probably not fix it fully.

RobiePAX

Estimable
May 19, 2014
Do NOT use SSD for Fraps recordings. SSD's are not meant for such purpose and will prematurely wear out. Nor average SSD capacity/price value is worth it either.

Use SSD to run your operating system. And buy a fast large capacity Hard Drive for Fraps such as Western Digital Black and it should do just fine for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.