SSD shows multiple empty disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewyfood

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
Very strange behavior...

When I boot Windows 10 off my 128GB SSD (Toshiba THNSN5128GPU7) in my laptop, Windows reports that Disk 0 is the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with its partitions, Disks 1 through 3 are empty and have duplicate identifiers as Disk 4, the SSD and its partitions. Properties on all the 4 disks show as the SSD and device manager shows 4 entries for my SSD. However, when I boot Windows 10 off the mechanical hard drive Windows sees Disk 0 as my mechanical drive and its partitions and Disk 1 is the SSD and its partitions - device manager shows a single entry for the SSD.

When I go through DISKPART, I see all the same information.

Windows 10 setup (via USB) sees the same disk table as when I boot off the SSD. I can't do anything with the disks (1 through 3).

Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on? I don't think these extra drives are from the SD card reader.

chewyfood

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
Here ya go. https://imgur.com/a/dxkEU

When I open up Disk Manager each time it will ask me to initialize those 3 disks with MBR or GPT (0-2...was wrong about the numbers). When I try to initialize them with GPT it says the size is below the minimum required for GPT. If I try MBR it says "Incorrect Function".

Here is device manager: https://imgur.com/a/W0MZc
Notice the four entries for my SSD. If I boot using the 2.5" WDC drive (mechanical, SATA), it will just report a single SSD drive.

chewyfood

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
Removed the 2.5" SATA drive. All that remains are the four SSD drives (just one in there...in a single m.2 port in the machine). No other disks attached - USB, SD, etc.

With those 3 enabled, the machine takes 2 minutes to boot cold. If I disable the 3 that aren't the primary C: drive, the computer boots in 15 seconds.

This is associated with the other thread I posted: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3506853/aspire-e15-575g-51gg-ssd-slow-boot.html

It would appear that disabling the 3 hard drives fixes the slow boot, but I am still wondering why there are three mysterious drives.

OrenPCcrush

Estimable
Feb 17, 2014
I am having the same problem 2 minutes boot and then every thing seams fine, also 3 empty disk,
The SSD is model is Toshiba THNSF5256GPUK
I posted it here: Phantom Disks when connecting SSD

Now i am not sure if this is just another minor problem my system have or if this is the main problem that is making it to boot slow.

Regarding the "I don't think these extra drives are from the SD card reader." why not? i can see them also if i remove all the hard drives, maybe i should try to look into the SD card reader?

*UPDATE*
Regarding the SD card, it seams to work fine and be added as disk 5, reboot took 2:25.
eLMY4m.jpg

USAFRet

Illustrious

Please start a whole new thread for your situation.

OrenPCcrush

Estimable
Feb 17, 2014

How I see the situation
I think I have a clue what is going on, I think we have an old car (our PC), and we have a race driver (our SSD), so what we need to do is to find a way to force the driver to slow down when he try to control the car, or else he will just sit there and he will be kicking the pedals and switching the gears so fast, before the motor can react to his amazing driving skills.

How I see the solution for now
Maybe if the Windows will be installed on the SSD but using junctions (mklink /J) we will be able to set the bios to boot from the slow drive, if it will work, we will not get SSD speeds, but for a start we might be able to boot the system with the SSD and without the Phantom Disks (since the driver is slowed by a junction that sit on a Slow Spinning Disk).
I call this set up SSDJSSD.

What next
In case this will work, we can simply move the Junction to sit on the SD card and then we will be in a situation we dont need to spin disks, its a good start, then the next step is to find a way to move the junction to something with fast reactions that can sit in the 2.5 slot (maybe in another slot, lets say the disk slot if you have one), or to cancel some USB 3 slot and let a micro SD card sit inside the pc, as Junction.
This ultimate setup will be called SDJSSD and if it will work then Toshiba should Hire me since I saved their product line, Ghetto style.
#Toshiba #SatoshiTsunakawa

*Update*
This can't work yet since also if the unallocated SSD is installed, there will be 4 Phantom Disks, when installing windows on one of them you are left with 3 Phantom Disks, I tried solving it for few hours today, no luck yet :(

Status
Not open for further replies.