Static noise in USB headset

ExcaliburX

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
I just recently built my new PC, and when I plugged in my USB headset, the constant static/crackling noise began. I've tried all the USB ports and audio jacks, and I've determined that it's when the USB is plugged in that the sound begins. I've downloaded all the latest audio drivers for my motherboard and that didn't change it a bit, On my older computer it made a slight static noise but nowhere near as bad, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

ExcaliburX

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016

I tried it in my old computer just now, and there's a slight noise but nowhere near as bad as this.

CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)

I think that's what you needed

ExcaliburX

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016

Well I already had it, a friend gave it to me and it saved me some money, do you think it's the problem? and if so should I get a new one?

It's A problem, but can't say definitively it's THE problem. If your friend has a higher end PSU see if he can help you test your system with a better PSU. If it works, it was THE problem, if it doesn't, you'll need to check the mobo and headset more thoroughly

ExcaliburX

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016

Do you think it would be completely necessary to get a new power supply or would I be fine just using a headset that doesn't use USB?

You already stated that the audio jacks also show problems, so that won't likely work. For now, you can try using a powered USB hub (like those in many monitors, must have external power supply) to isolate the power for the headphones from your computer

ExcaliburX

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016

I just tested it, I plugged in only the USB, which powers the headphones. The noise started then, and then I plugged in the audio jack, which made no difference. Then I unplugged that and plugged in my speakers, which take power from the wall with their own plug in, and there's no static at all in the sound, so I don't think it's the audio jacks

You'll need to do some more tests then, the headset might just be broken, but hard to tell until you test it in more cases

ExcaliburX

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016

So I plugged in another USB headset, the turtle beach x12's and there was almost no static noise. I think it might be the headset itself then, but it's only a year and a half old

Sounding more and more like a broken headset. It happens, especially with "gaming" type devices. Kind of sad that gaming headsets are such bad quality when gaming keyboards and mice are generally more reliable than normal ones...

ExcaliburX

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016

I've heard the the HyperX cloud's are good, should I buy a pair of those? Im almost positive it's the headset now.

Better yet, just get a pair of real headphones like the HD518. Cost about the same but are better in almost every way (except the fact it doesn't have a mic, but you can use your old set for that until you get yourself a dedicated mic)