Steam Beta for Ubuntu May Arrive in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
I absolutely love Valve. I just hope other legends of PC gaming worked more cooperatively and actively in promoting the form factor.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Yes! YES! OH MY GOD YES!

Maybe one day I will have Ubuntu as my full-time OS. Maybe one day...
First leap is migration which will be a significant step (considering not all of my applications have an equivalent for Linux).

itookmypills

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I moved to linux 3 years ago and I haven't looked back. Maybe one day, I will not have a Windows hdd/partition sitting in my computer.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Alright, time for thousands of l33t windows gamers to try and install Ubuntu, figure out they can't get video drivers working correctly, and limp back home to the comfort of windows.

Max respect to Valve though, I will be giving this a go when it's released..

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]Steveymoo[/nom]Alright, time for thousands of l33t windows gamers to try and install Ubuntu, figure out they can't get video drivers working correctly, and limp back home to the comfort of windows.Max respect to Valve though, I will be giving this a go when it's released..[/citation]

Linux help forums around the world are going to explode

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]crewton[/nom]The only reason I have windows is to game. If steam fixes that then so long windows![/citation]
It'll probably take at least 5 years IN THE BEST CASE to turn Linux into a platform that can compete with Windows on a "video game compatibility" term. Because using Steam on Linux helps significantly, but it does NOT fix the problem completely.
What I'm trying to say, is basically: there are thousands of video games out there, of these many thousands Steam supports only, like what, 30~50%? That's NOT good enough at all, you can't buy ANY PC game you want, through Steam, even though it's title selection is pretty massive, Steam STILL has a very long way to go.
And my main point is - as long as Steam won't be able to offer at least 98% of entire PC video game base (including even the most oldest and obscure titles), there won't be a massive migration to Linux from Windows, because Windows offers that video game compatibility and selection opportunity from the very beginning.

itookmypills

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Steveymoo[/nom]Alright, time for thousands of l33t windows gamers to try and install Ubuntu, figure out they can't get video drivers working correctly, and limp back home to the comfort of windows.Max respect to Valve though, I will be giving this a go when it's released..[/citation]

Most drivers install automatically, or an "Additional Drivers" app starts up notifying you that you have drivers available. Alternatively, AMD and NVIDIA both have driver install programs that make it really easy to install.

itookmypills

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]It'll probably take at least 5 years IN THE BEST CASE to turn Linux into a platform that can compete with Windows on a "video game compatibility" term. Because using Steam on Linux helps significantly, but it does NOT fix the problem completely.What I'm trying to say, is basically: there are thousands of video games out there, of these many thousands Steam supports only, like what, 30~50%? That's NOT good enough at all, you can't buy ANY PC game you want, through Steam, even though it's title selection is pretty massive, Steam STILL has a very long way to go.And my main point is - as long as Steam won't be able to offer at least 98% of entire PC video game base (including even the most oldest and obscure titles), there won't be a massive migration to Linux from Windows, because Windows offers that video game compatibility and selection opportunity from the very beginning.[/citation]

It would be great if gaming was browser based. Browser based gaming is getting closer, and I bet Microsoft is dreading that day.

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

Hi my names Steveymoo and I'm stuck in 2003, please send help.

Status
Not open for further replies.