'Steam for Schools' Brings Portal 2 to Education

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
It's like a portal SDK really. This is awesome, the best schools have before college is CAD, which although a powerful tool doesn't give you the most-indepth perspectives on your creations. And while most likely certainly more basic than more advanced development tools it should be interesting to see if this is a starting point of something great for general education/public schools.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Thats interesting.. Portal 2 is a good puzzle game. But when I was in elementary school, my favorite game, besides Oregon Trail, was Number Munchers. I would consider that game both fun and educational.

Realistic physics? I don't mind the portals being described as this just for moving one place to another, but they can transform momentum from one direction to another. Momentum has a direction.

With two portals on the floor, you can jump into one, bounce up from the other, and seesaw forever with no loss of kinetic energy to air resistance.

jimmyjohnz

Honorable
May 14, 2012
One of my favorite educational games was Roller Coaster Tycoon. It taught me to keep things fresh within the park ecosystem, manage loans/money, hire plenty of mechanics/handymen to clean up/repair, and drown the angry red faced people because they break your benches/trashcans/lights. Good lessons for a kid, right?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom] With two portals on the floor, you can jump into one, bounce up from the other, and seesaw forever with no loss of kinetic energy to air resistance.[/citation]

Really, that is what you go after this for? Not the portals part?

*faceplam*

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
This might have some value. Probably better suited for young kids, or the kids riding on the short bus. While the physics aren't 100% true to life, basic principals could be taught with it. Spacial problem solving could be taught. Heck, you could even make art projects with it. What fun it would be to make some art you can play with!

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Thats interesting.. Portal 2 is a good puzzle game. But when I was in elementary school, my favorite game, besides Oregon Trail, was Number Munchers. I would consider that game both fun and educational.[/citation]

Math blaster

Status
Not open for further replies.