John Chrin

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
(Please Click Links For Descriptive Pictures)

Product: SteelSeries H Wireless Headset

How it is Plugged In: Optical and USB, they run from the SteelSeries H transmitter to my motherboard (P8Z68-V LE) optical (the port is on the motherboard, it is not a separate sound cound) and usb port.

Problem: The RealTek HD Audio software does not allow me to manipulate any of the features of optical audio and also does not detect the microphone.

1.) Computer recognizes the headset and the microphone but recognizes it as a stereo headset (2 channel) and the microphone is recognized as a generic USB.

What I am Trying to Do: I would like to be able to manipulate settings like this for the audio portion but the selected option there does not function when I attempt to click the playback button. I also would like to have realtek recognize my microphone as a realtek device, so I might put it through post processing noise reduction (I know how to do this part).

Please note that the headphones do work, and I had to re-install realtek just to get it to recognize an optical connection like you see in the picture. Can anyone help me out here?

dizpo

Estimable
Oct 19, 2014
Jeez, no replies, and that's just the question I've been trying to answer for the past half-hour. I just sent a support ticket to SteelSeries, but, I'm pretty sure what their answer's going to be: "There are no configuration settings to adjust within Windows. To enable Dolby Digital/Prologic IIx simply enable "Dolby" in the transmitter menu." Yep, that's what they'll say...

jaantoineii

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
I am having the same exact problem. Did you guys every figure this out? I can't find anything on the internet with a fix for this!

dizpo

Estimable
Oct 19, 2014

Windows (8.1) recognizes the headset as a "SteelSeries H Wireless" device which appears in Control Panel under Sound > Playback (tab). From there the Configure button allows you to select Mono or Stereo only. The Properties button reveals 4 tabs of Windows Speakers Properties of which I select only Loudness Equalization. Also in Sound > Recording (tab) you'll see the "SteelSeries H Wireless" listed as a microphone. I use the speaker & mic within Skype. So, no drivers are required to be installed and no configuration is relevant within Realtek HD Audio Drivers - they're different devices and listed as such in Device Manager > Audio inputs and outputs.

The hardware settings allow activation of Equalizer adjustments (5-bands) and Dolby (on or off), and that's pretty much it aside from Chatmix & Livemix (the last 2 which I don't use).

Dan Schlich

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
The same thing is happening to me. I am not using an optical cable though. Only the usb input.

When i first plug it in it appears in playback tab aswell as recording. But after a few seconds it disapears from recording and remains in playball. from there the headphones work and obviously the microphone doesnt.

When i go into my devices and printers, There are two SteelSeries H Wireless that show in not specified. when i right click on one i shows as an audio player. when i do it on the second only create shortcut, propreties and "solve problems" show up. go into propreties and it only recognizes it as a generic usb entry.

Anymore information would be REALLY appreciated

jaantoineii

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
I solved my problem by changing the input and output on the receiver both to usb. The drivers installed and then I switched the input back to optical and then it worked. I was then able to set the optical connection as my default playback device and set the usb connection as my default communication and recording device. It took me 12 hours to come up with a solution that worked but since I figured it out it's proven to be a great investment. You might try switching up the inputs and outputs to get different combinations of drivers to install. I purchased my headset from Best Buy and I'm surprised I'm the only one to have submitted a review, but you can check it out here: http://www.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/reviews.jsp;jsessionid=96AA49194CC4232656E240CAD8AA518F.bbmdotp-app31-109?skuId=1310052437&pid=mp1310052437&sr=01#one

TheGreatMikou

Estimable
Oct 16, 2015

Hi jaantoineii,

The topic has been closed for a while, but I'll still try to get an answer.
I just bought a steelseries H, and I'm trying to get the Dolby 7.1.
How do we enable it ? just with the Dolby ON in the box/receptor ?
Or should I enable it on the windows control sound panel too ?

Because, for example, in battlefiled 4, i can tell better from where the footsteps are coming with dolby off (on the box/receptor).

I hope you'll see the message,

Thank you :)

Hi

Gilimanjaro

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
As I understand it, if you want 'best' results, you'll want to setup optical for game output (default device), and usb for chat (communication device).

But you'll then need Dolby Surround encoding enabled on your optical port. The Realtek chipset can do this, *but* your soundboard vendor needs to have paid for the license to have that activated, and many have not!

The technology for this is called 'DDL' (Dolby Digital Live) and it's the encoding of 5.1 or 7.1 surround channels on 2.0 output (like optical). The Steelseries receiver can decode DDL, but the Realtek has to do the encoding.

If you google for 'unlock realtek ddl' you will find people who have managed to trick the drivers into doing (among other things) DDL. I myself am waiting for the next Windows 10 build (next week) which apparently can be 'tricked' while the current one cannot.

The DDL encoding needs to happen live as for gaming the audio stream is generated real-time after all.

If you are watching a movie, the surround info can have been encoded ahead of time, and therefore it doesn't need DDL (I guess the 'L' in DDL is the 'live'/realtime part).

Cheers, G.