Stephen Hawking: Hey Stupid, Let's Go Into Space

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]For those under Islam it is out of fear and for the rest they are deliberately deceived to keep them in spiritual bondage.[/citation]
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]For those under Islam it is out of fear and for the rest they are deliberately deceived to keep them in spiritual bondage.[/citation]

Now…you’re just being picky.

Obviously those ‘reductions in citizens’ were for the greater cause…and McDonalds is trying to make a Profit…you’re just not weighing the Profit properly.

Also, if you think about it, those high numbers don’t really count…some of those people could/would have died of “Fast Food” anyway.

See…

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]tomaz99[/nom]Now…you’re just being picky.Obviously those ‘reductions in citizens’ were for the greater cause…and McDonalds is trying to make a Profit…you’re just not weighing the Profit properly.Also, if you think about it, those high numbers don’t really count…some of those people could/would have died of “Fast Food” anyway.See…[/citation]

What ever it is that is in your mind is nothing but complete garbage and nothing less.

Under Marxist doctrine you are a "useless eater"

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]tleavit[/nom]Easy! He's changed people like you who ask "can anyone tell me" into people who are intelligent enough to go out and actually learn such things. This without having to really on what some shady character in the back of some shack preaching about some supernatural "endlessly caring" being whom if you don't listen will result in your eternal damnation in fire.[/citation]

Yes, it’s best to deny things that may make us feel uncomfortable or may interfere with what we ‘feel’ like doing.

I’m sure that path you’ve chosen will work out for you…you’ll be fine.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]What ever it is that is in your mind is nothing but complete garbage and nothing less. Under Marxist doctrine you are a "useless eater"[/citation]

Umm...I was actually agreeing with you :)

Apparently my witty satire was lost in the blog nuances...

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I still cant help thinking that someone else is behind Stephen Hawking's communicator...heh. Like a big joke waiting to happen!

In all seriousness I believe in what Hawking says (or whomever is talking...hehe) and it is unfortunate that money is the main barrier to space exploration. Getting into space is currently expensive as h3ll and once we can develope some cheaper methods it will remain difficult.

The main hurdle is colonizing the moon and build a fully functional space station. Exploring our small solar system begins on the moon since it is much easier to depart the moons gravity. How long this will take? Unfortunately not in most of your life times.

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]tleavit[/nom]Easy! He's changed people like you who ask "can anyone tell me" into people who are intelligent enough to go out and actually learn such things. This without having to really on what some shady character in the back of some shack preaching about some supernatural "endlessly caring" being whom if you don't listen will result in your eternal damnation in fire.[/citation]

So then, you don't know what he's done? You could have just said that.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
All he says looks right, right?
I disagree. He argues like "we", our human science, really knows much to conclude on the universe.
We have 400 years of science roughly. The known universe created with the "Big Bang -theory-" is 13,700 millions years.

Currently there is a discussion about the dark matter that apparently constitutes most of the matter in the universe, and our science knows very little about it, if anything. This is the current explanation for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

Science can't explain yet how the particles gain mass, (the god's particle or The Higgs boson's particle), which is a hypothesis, not prove. This is why manny countries created the Large Hadron Collider in Europe.

We can't produce and control fusion nuclear energy yet.

Then there is quantum physics with parallel universes and instant particles communication. All theories because we can't explain where those particles come from or go to.

Science only occurs in our minds and is the "human formal explanation" for the universe experience or reality. But science is not a reality as science is our minds interpretation of facts.

Then, logic. If God created us, why would he create a universe for humans who could explain everything in a few hundreds years. What activities he planned for the "eternity" or the rest of our existence?

No, we are in just another stage of evolution, not on top, and there is waaayyyyy more to discover in the micro-universe structure and super structure of the universe, in our minds, our lives, in our technical skills and in how everything relates. This is fate but also a historically correct progression and logic observation.

The universe is very complex but take a look at our society. Our science is so busy looking elsewhere we cannot find the same money or motivation to study and improve manny huge and basic challenges of our society. And this is only because science degrades and reduces our perception and behavior as probabilistic "conduct". So, in terms of science all we are is reduced to complex molecular behavior that occurs in some chain reaction in our brains. Science doesn't even knows what is life and really the why it occurs.

I think Stephen Hawking needs to keep showing more science explanations and less superstar shows.

Misdissident

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Funnily enough, a random Tom's article's comment section somehow provides me with my day's "optional requirement" of intellectual stimuli and light-hearted entertainment. Nice job you deuds :)
Just some points I feel like throwing out INTO SPACE... (lol im clever)
1) Lots of mentions of Marxism... as if this world has actually seen true Marxism (let alone true Communism)...
2) As per the religious issues... I like to put it this way: there is a difference between having an interest in knowing about anothers' (religious) beliefs and actually caring about them. I can have an interest in knowing about everyone else's lives without actually directly interfering with them or feeling like threatening them; if I actually do feel like indoctrinating them into some new kind of mental state from knowing so, I end up in the realm of caring (specifically in a negative connotation). I think the large issue here is that people need to separate those two ideas and stop feeling threatened by anothers' set of beliefs in this regard.
3. "Humans in space" is like trying to summarize the entire history of Europe in three words - it's going to be a heck of a lot more complex than a small phrase that's stated by an individual who apparently has such a brilliant idea. It's a start, but we'd need to know how to develop suitable biomes, transportation, funds, resources, technologies... even just putting humans in a psychological and physiological state that's compatible with any kind of large-scale space activity will probably take a silly amount of effort as per any kind of human activity. Religion is totally irrelevant to all of this beyond physcological preparation and should stop being shoved together with it unless it somehow and in someway becomes relevant... like, if, you know, we actually touch [deity(s) here] in a way in a place that makes them feel uncomfortable. That's no good.

4) We have a more difficult challenge right now anyways... the question is, will we be able to max out Crysis within the next few centuries?

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Whenever I read a story that relates to the existence of God, it's always interesting to read the comments.

So many individuals trying to insult other people because of what they do or don't believe in.

If there is a God, I'm sure he'd shake his head in disappointment. If there isn't, the people on this planet will end up destroying each other just to prove another silly point.

So please, continue to become the least common denominator.

Misdissident

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, but the earth is kinda getting obese, don't you think? It could lose a few pounds like the ones on the TVs we watch. Then again, It'd be sad to watch the earth having a heart attack right on TV...

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]So fast food has killed more than 91.5million in the Soviet Union and 70+million in Maoist China?[/citation]

Need I remind that China has enslaved it's population & brutalized them before they were Communists? But that Communism came at a time where China had a long period of foreign oppression behind it. If it had anything to do with The British running out of gold & silver, having only opium left to offer?.. But even The Russians had a lousy Czar who was just itching to be removed. That it happened at a time where Democracy/Constitutional Monarchy wasn't new & maybe wasn't something that the people believed would be any different, or that Communism was meant to be Democratic, but instead got hijacked (look around). Just goes to show that you can't trust freedom when it's not in your hands (GNR).

As for Fast Food being a new form of minimal wage enslavement & killer lifestyle, well that's just humor, sick humor. BTW, are you old enough to remember the days of duck & cover, where The Government lied to people when they told them that it would actually help?

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I've never study theology. And I have nothing against it. But my advice is just don't get yourself too involved in it that you completely loose yourself. :D

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]the_punkinator[/nom]Err, can anyone tell me what hes done to make this world a better place.[/citation]

How about come up with theories that equal, if not surpass, any work done by Einstein in complexity and understanding of the universe with live it.

The real question is, what have YOU done to make the world a better place?

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]nicely said. I'm agnostic myself. I do not believe in any of the holy books, but accept the possibility that the universe may have had a creator. Its nice to see a religious person putting forward a well thought out view instead of the usual moronic garbage we see. I have to agree, the very fact that the universe has a set of absolute laws does indeed allow for the possibility of a creator. But 'faith' is not something i would ever give to something i cannot try to prove. If any such created wants faith, it should not expect it given blindly. anyway, im waiting on the new hawking book to be delivered. looking forward to it. hopefully it will help fill in some of the gaps.[/citation]
couldn't agree with you any more. +1

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008

Actually it feels liberating to have certain restraints. It's like a car with a brake, you can stop before you crash into something. As for being spiritually tied, well that's the point, why else would I pray if I didn't feel it was an obligation? That some people are more sure about where they're going after this, while others worry about not having done enough to be so certain, that's either great faith, or great ignorance. Either way, once you do die, it's too late. That death happens, but murder is still a sin, also is food for thought about that those destined to die would have done it anyways, but that killing someone won't look good on your own score, when it's time for you to die & get graded.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]I see you like logic. So do I. Here is one for you:A scientific view would hold that there is a limit to what the human brain can comprehend. Just as there is a limit to how much, say, a really smart animal such as a dog could comprehend. A really smart dog could understand a lot of words, and be quite well trained. But it will never comprehend the simplest of human activities such as how to conjugate a verb or make change for a dollar.Why should we believe that (as another species of animal on earth), that our brains are limitless? That is conceited and inconsistent with the evidence of what we see in other species.Asking a question that we cannot answer is not proof of anything (either pro or con) other than that of our own limitations.[/citation]
Just because humans have limits doesn't meant that question cannot be asked. We should do our best to answer all that there is to ask. Similarly, I don't see why we couldn't ask our dog friend to 'conjugate a verb or make change for a dollar', or even ask our dog friend about God of God? Who knows, our dog friend might even be smarter than most of us.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Pity another soul to the institutionalized indoctrination camp called a university ware Marxist professors spew forth their lies. Only a fool believes the world is only that old when human civilization has been around much longer. Most overlook those 17,000 year old ruins in south America.[/citation]

Uh... You do realize in universities they are taught science and not creationism right?

Status
Not open for further replies.