Steve Ballmer Trashes Chrome OS, Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I will never use IE as long as there is any other browser choice.

"Is this all about kind of controlling the search box or is it about something else?" --- from the makers of Bing? you really have to ask?

And come on guy, you're acting like google frame is hacking your computer.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
"He said that it's generally advisable to get the software right and stay right, especially in the OS business."

I can't imagine the world without Microsoft, but this is hypocrisy if I ever saw it. Windows Vista, anyone?

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Meh, I never take what this guy says seriously :D. Anyway he is kinda right about Android. Seems like Google lost focus and/or interest in it. I suppose we'll see if anything comes from Chrome OS.

G

I love Ballmer. I wonder what sunrise looks like on his home planet?

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I like Ballmer's fighting spirit but IE has such a bad wrap. IE 8 tries to covertly switch you to a Bing user and all other Microsoft services. It is somewhat understandable because it's a Microsoft product but when 74% of the market share is IE but over 80% is Google for searching, it doesn't really make sense. IE is still too bloated and slow. They need to completely revamp it and focus on making it lightweight, fast, and as far as security goes: include something like FireFox's adblockplus and maybe a toned down version of NoScript. These add ons for FireFox I have been using work extremely well while not taking up much memory or slowing things down. They are stand alone and thus are easily updatable.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I don't think he really needs to trash either project. Anyone with brains knows that safari is crap and chrome os is just another one of the billions of shovelware versions of linux that are out there. I think these companies need to come up with something more original.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
I personally don't rly get this browser war : / seems sorta nuts! I just use what works and if there it is 1-4ms slower I rly don't care because it is so insignificant. as long as the browser works and doesn't thing everything I download is an addon and can run and save what I download I'm happy ;)
,Just my two cents

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Also I'm switched over to MSIE8 from Firefox now in Win7 Ultimate. Good job Microsoft. Now I only use firefox for plugins. MSIE8 works great.

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I use IE8 and have never wanted to replace it. I was one convinec to try Chrome, which did look celan and pretty, but the second site I opened didn't support it ("Please use Internet Explorer x or Firefox x.x or later" stuff). IE8 IS the most supported browser and it does it's job. Since I'm no 3rd party/open source hippie, I'll jsut stick to IE.

Herbert_HA

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
"He said that it's generally advisable to get the software right and stay right,...".
From the maker of the Zune that crashes on New Year's, Xbox 360 that needs constant repairing, IE that doesn't follow standards and fails to render webpages correctly, and, of course, so many, very flawed, iterations of Windows.
Fanboys can give -1 as much as they want, won't make it less true.

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Steve Ballmer is the reason that company is failling. Chrome OS and Adroid are seperate OS's just like Windows Mobile, Windows Vista are seperate OS's. Bill Gates needs to put this fool in check before his hard work goes completely downthe crapper.

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I love Mozilla Firefox and will not use any other web browser but Firefox. I do respect Microsoft but I do wish they'd listen to their customers and to software developers more. Would it kill them to make a "Windows Gamer 64 bit"?

G

i think they're making one for pc/mac's and i think android is more for phones

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]kelfen[/nom]I personally don't rly get this browser war : / seems sorta nuts! I just use what works and if there it is 1-4ms slower I rly don't care because it is so insignificant. as long as the browser works and doesn't thing everything I download is an addon and can run and save what I download I'm happy ,Just my two cents[/citation]
IE has problems with standards compliance and other performance issue that they've been too slow to address. Biggest recent example? IE 8 cannot run Google's upcoming Wave service because the Javascript performance is simply not there. Google attempted to make Wave work with IE, but in the end just gave up. That's part of the reason why Google made the Chrome Frame plugin for IE. A lot of people have questioned the real-world impact of all the work Mozilla, Apple, and Google have put into accelerating JS execution. Turns out it actually does make a real-world difference, especially with emerging web technologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.