Strange 20 Letter/number folder in D:\

Gamay1

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
Hello, some days ago i discovered a strange folder in partcion D named ˇ21401ddfd05c58f5449fˇ
I do not remember when it appeared but when i want to enter it, it says that "I dont currently have access to the folder" and requires admin permission, can anyone tell the hell is this?. I scanned my PC with malwarebytes but it didnt say anything about it.
http://i59.tinypic.com/4v0epw.jpg

bluecheese1

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
Have you tried using any other antivirus? If you have the free version of malwarebytes then it shouldn't interfere with another antivirus. If you have the paid version you will probably have to disable malwarebytes temporarily. No single antivirus is perfect, so ideally you check with another.

There's also a chance that the folder is actually supposed to be there. What type of multimedia do you have in? Also, you may have already tried this, but is there any way you could acquire admin permission and see what's in the folder?

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Is the D drive a recovery partition? That sounds like something a recovery software might do, although I'm not sure why it would change the folder name into that kind of string. If you haven't ruled that out, I'd look into that.

A lot of prebuilt computers come loaded with recovery software, so figured I'd ask.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
If it's a recovery partition, then those are probably related to the back up software. Unless you're noticing anything unusual on your computer, I'd just keep an eye on them. Probably nothing to worry about. Worst case, you can use a partitioning tool to erase/wipe that partition, and expand the main partition to full size. I've done that on all my hard drives.