ImperialGuardsman

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014
Hello everyone,

I decided to try out the virtual reality readiness test on Steam and my score does not make much sense. According to Tom's Hardware, my card should score around an 8.5 (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/steamvr-performance-test-gpu-comparison,4489.html)

That result was using an XFX R9 Fury, the same as mine. My best score so far has been a 2.5! (0 cpu bound frames, 0 frames under 90 fps)

Here is my system:
Windows & 64 Pro
32 gigs ddr3 2133mhz
XFX R9 Fury, slight overclock to 1025 MHz
AMD FX 9590
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z

Any idea what is going on? Earlier today (right before there was an update to Steam and the VR test), the best I could get was 2.2, and that was only if I changed the driver settings to performance. Otherwise, it was 2.0. Makes no sense to me. My system is performing well in my games, like Star Wars Battlefront.

Thanks!

ImperialGuardsman

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014

Well, not according to the benchmark itself. It said the cpu was fine, plus not frames were cpu limited. Looking on another forum, people with fx 8350 cpus were getting far better results with solid graphics cards. Watching task manager while the benchmark ran also showed the cpu not breaking a sweat over anything.

ImperialGuardsman

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014

UVE8iM.png

Went up to 2.6 this morning, strangely enough. I am using the ATI Radeon Driver 15.12.

By the way, I have the power slider in the Radeon software set to +50%. That should mean that there is no throttling do to power draw. It is also quite cool, so no thermal throttling either.

010TheMaster010

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
I got a 1.4 with a 270X so yes it is very odd that you're getting such a low score with a fury. You're sure there's no thermal throttling? You could try reverting back a driver update. I'll try to look further into the issue.

ImperialGuardsman

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014
Target temp is at max (80 or 85 degrees) and the card stays nice and cool even during hard gamming. I have good airflow in the case and my room is cool this time of year.

I am using a Season 1200 watt platinum. I aslo used two independent 8 pin connectors and not a daisy chain.

The only background programs on that last run would be Steam itself and some programs that sit in my system tray not using anything save for some RAM (AVG, Asus AI Suite, APC Power shoot, etc.). Doesn't make much sense to me. The thing is (as I mentioned) my performance in games (like Star Wars Battlefront) has been pretty solid. Over 60 fps at 1200p Ultra.

ImperialGuardsman

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014

Not using Afterburner but I was watching the Global overdrive screen in Radeon settings and it showed the gpu going up to max speed and max utilization. Temps were hardly bothered by the test.

I have only limited frame rates in one game profile and not in the global settings. I may try again with the 16.3 drivers when they are official. Looks like they are in some "hotfix" phase rather than a full release. Radeon Settings sees no new updates either.

ImperialGuardsman

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014

Wow! That really made the difference! Just resetting the shader cache did nothing. I am surprised that all the settings had to be reset too, since a few of them were performance oriented. Can't argue with results though!
poDYQR4Jp

Went up to a 9.1. Not bad.

ImperialGuardsman

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014

Believe you me, without an voltage adjustments, this is as far as I can go. I must not have won the lottery in that regard. I have just been using the built in Crimson adjustments and will probably keep it that way.

Thanks!