stream wireless video through analog tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaWC

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Ok, times are tough, I'm broke. Cable TV is too expensive to keep. How can I hook up my old analog tv to get hulu through wireless for the least amount of money?

Do I have to buy the tv converter box that converts the signal from digital to analog AND buy the wireless box?

Are there are short cuts? Are there special wires I will have to buy to do this?

I'm a senior citizen and this is all very confusing. Please any help will be gratefully accepted.

Solution
I wish I could be more help, but for what it would cost to attach your old analog with those connections and the adapters and computer needed, you can buy a new smart TV that has built in Ethernet and the apps for Hulu and Netflix. Something like THIS would work very well.

Depending on the size TV that you use, you should find some amazing deals over the next week. 720p should be fine for you (I have a few), you really don't need 1080p although at a good price it would be best, but the key is that they are *smart* in that they have the built in Hulu and Netflix apps and an Ethernet connector. If you have the budget for it, that would be the best solution. Otherwise you will need to attach an Internet connected computer to the...

RealBeast

Distinguished
What kind of input connectors are on the back of the TV?

Coax in of course, but does it have red/white/yellow RCA jack inputs or a blue 15 pin VGA connector?

I dumped cable TV two months ago since I never watch it and it was costing $90 a month, Hulu is great.

DanaWC

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
There is a jack for the regular cable cord (black screw on) Then there are 4 jacks on the bottom to which we currently have red white and yellow cords going from the dvd player. There are 2 more jacks like the colored cords are in above the 4.
Hope this helps... Thank you so much. :)

RealBeast

Distinguished
I wish I could be more help, but for what it would cost to attach your old analog with those connections and the adapters and computer needed, you can buy a new smart TV that has built in Ethernet and the apps for Hulu and Netflix. Something like THIS would work very well.

Depending on the size TV that you use, you should find some amazing deals over the next week. 720p should be fine for you (I have a few), you really don't need 1080p although at a good price it would be best, but the key is that they are *smart* in that they have the built in Hulu and Netflix apps and an Ethernet connector. If you have the budget for it, that would be the best solution. Otherwise you will need to attach an Internet connected computer to the TV and buy an adapter from a computer video connection (VGA/DVI/HDMI) to the RCA inputs that the DVD player currently uses.

If you are interested and have the budget for a new TV, watch the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales for a good deal. Just remember that the two keys are an Ethernet adapter built in and the built in smart capability to use Hulu. If you find one that you are not sure of, PM me.

Solution

BGoo774207

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

This really didn't answer his question

You are resuscitating a 3 years old thread but OK, there it goes.

Hulu is an Internet thing, so hopefully you already have Internet service otherwise you are looking at getting one$.

To talk to Internet with you old Analog TV, you need to buy a box like Roku and verify it has a Hulu or whatever service that you require App in it, less than usd$100. The Roku box, of something like it MUST have an interface that is compatible with your TV, for analog TV a Component interface is best, anything less than that and the picture will look bad.

I think the guys are trying to tell OP, analog TV more trouble than it's worth.

BGoo774207

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
I guess when you have the Deep pockets you do...you just run out and buy the newest thing. Unfortunately I cannot do that. It took me 3 years to save for the smart TV I have. I have to use my existing analog TV's. I though this was a sight that helped ppl find answers to things. I guess I was wrong. I was wrong too to ask about an older thread.

Somewhere in forum's FAQ, it tells you to not start a new thread if something already exist, but reality is, technology advance so quickly, anything more than a couple of years old is obsolete, folks should really start a new thread after that.

If u can't afford new tech, that's really your problem. That sounds more like a societal issue than technology. Example above, I really doubt, these days you can find a Roku-like box with interface other than HDMI. More than ever, tech are throw-away, the days of your Trinitron lasting you 20 years is no longer valid. You are welcome to fight it, is your right but if you have to ask the question, don't be surprised by the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.