Streaming from one through another to the net

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey guys,

I have a friend who is streaming a lot of games from his computer to the internet. It is pretty rough on the computer he is streaming from.

He has 2 computers and was wondering if he could use one computer for the streaming and the other for the gaming.

I've thought of one solution by myself, but would like people to keep an open mind to other possibilities themselves as well:
1st pc is gaming and the 2nd does the streaming.
The streaming PC has remote access to the gaming PC.
Through the remote access the streaming PC captures what is on the gaming PC's screen and streams it to the net.

This solution could work if there is any program to do remote access with at least 30-60 fps.

I would really appreciate it if you have some suggestions.

Solution
I see your idea of "keep an open mind" is different from mine ;)

To be clear, when I said "is not bad", I was being polite rather that saying that it was silly because there is no available (that I know of) remote desktop software that will capture 30+fps video frames from a game and ship them to another PC uncompressed, and then software for the other PC that will take the uncompressed frames, compress them, and then stream them. It is the compression that takes a significant amount of time and is bogging down the gaming PC.

Now, if a person had more time than money, and had good Windows C/C++ programming skills, they could write custom software that would do just what you described.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
The idea of a second PC is not bad, but it will cause other issues such as increasing lag due to the bandwidth needed for the remote desktop connection.

He should just upgrade his PC to add more CPU cores and more memory.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Would you care to elaborate if it isn't bad? Sounds like you know a way.

He has 2 computers, he doesn't have ready cash to upgrade his gaming computer. When I wrote "keep an open mind" it was not meant towards choice of hardware.

I appreciate the answer, but it's kinda off-topic. What I need info about is in the headline.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
I see your idea of "keep an open mind" is different from mine ;)

To be clear, when I said "is not bad", I was being polite rather that saying that it was silly because there is no available (that I know of) remote desktop software that will capture 30+fps video frames from a game and ship them to another PC uncompressed, and then software for the other PC that will take the uncompressed frames, compress them, and then stream them. It is the compression that takes a significant amount of time and is bogging down the gaming PC.

Now, if a person had more time than money, and had good Windows C/C++ programming skills, they could write custom software that would do just what you described.

Solution

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Thanks a lot ;)

That's the answer I was looking for. I've looked a little around myself for a program that could muster the task already before I wrote here, but I came up short. There is always the possibility that one overlooks something.

I am sorry if my first reply seemed rude. I've just very often experienced, when writing in forums, that people ask a lot of unnecessary questions or give mundane answers.

One of my favorites is. When I was investigating what could have caused my computer to start up with no image on screen and 3 pc-speaker beeps, someone answered "make sure the power is plugged in".. that's it and nothing else.

I had already described what could have led to it and that I was suspecting it might be a BIOS error or my graphics card or motherboard having burnt out.

This is just en extreme example and yours was nowhere near in the same ballpark, so I'm sorry i reacted like that. I've just tried it so many times and it irks me.

xxnate0623xx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

OH NO!!!!

I hope someone told you the correct answer: that error is a memory problem with your RAM!
It either died or needs to be reseated...

I hope this isn't too late!!!

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Actually it was RAM incompatibility ;) It's the first time I've tried that RAM were incompatible, simply because the serial number is different. Manufacturer and specs were the same.

Thanks a lot for your help, it's nice to see that people are looking through the old posts, interested in helping.