Streaming phone to TV

dchooson

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
I have a PC with windows 7. I have a Roku express on my TV. I have a samsung 4 android phone with screen mirroring capabilities. The TV is too far away from my PC to hook up an HDMI cable and my PC is only windows 7. I also downloaded Roku to my phone. How do I cast my free TV shows from my phone to my TV? I am not electronically adept and I am having trouble. I need a detailed walk through.

Solution
I *think* the Samsung S4 is new enough to have casting built into it. It's contemporaneous with my Nexus 5, which definitely has the feature. I've used it several times (to cast videos recorded with my phone to my Roku) and it actually works a lot better than I expected. The only really annoyance is about a quarter to half second lag.

https://support.roku.com/article/208754928-how-to-use-screen-mirroring-with-your-mobile-device
http://allaboutgalaxys4.com/the-ultimate-guide-of-galaxy-s4-screen-mirroring/

The Roku phone app is for using your phone like a remote control for the Roku. It's unnecessary (the regular remote works better) unless you like to do a lot of searches. It's a lot easier to type into your phone, and the phone...
I *think* the Samsung S4 is new enough to have casting built into it. It's contemporaneous with my Nexus 5, which definitely has the feature. I've used it several times (to cast videos recorded with my phone to my Roku) and it actually works a lot better than I expected. The only really annoyance is about a quarter to half second lag.

https://support.roku.com/article/208754928-how-to-use-screen-mirroring-with-your-mobile-device
http://allaboutgalaxys4.com/the-ultimate-guide-of-galaxy-s4-screen-mirroring/

The Roku phone app is for using your phone like a remote control for the Roku. It's unnecessary (the regular remote works better) unless you like to do a lot of searches. It's a lot easier to type into your phone, and the phone app supports voice search. It has nothing to do with casting.

Solution

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i do this all the time. you have to find the setting in the phone menu to turn on miracast (might just cal it screen mirroring. depends on device)

you need to have the roku and phone on the same wifi network for the phone to find the roku. if it does, it'll pop up the roku stick and you simply click on it. it will connect and show your phone screen on the tv. then just play whatever you want using whatever player you wish and it will show to the tv. it simply shows what is on the phone so anything you do is mirrored. you can play games and such on the tv this was though it is terribly laggy. as noted above, this is not related to the roku app. it's in the phone settings somewhere.

you will get some audio lag so you want a player that lets you adjust that. my tv is -250 ms off. but yours will likely be different. i use VLC player as it plays all the files and let's me adjust the audio/subtitle timing if needed.

the roku app actually has a player built in that casts easily but it does not play very many file types. can give it a try but unlikely it will play all the video files you may have.

dchooson

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
Thanks everyone for your time and answers.
I do have screen mirroring on my phone which I did turn on but it could not find my Roku even though I do have hi speed wifi with Bell and they are both on the same wifi.
I am not sure if I needed a different Roku device other than the Roku express.
I will try some of the sites recommended.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
if the roku express is anything like my firetv stick then you will need to manually enable the screen mirroring on the roku in settings somewhere everytime you want to cast to it.

also, if your roku is anything like my stick it might not support googles built in mirroring and you'll need to use a third party app for casting. just search for miracast in the play store and then pick the one you like based on reviews

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald

i had the same issue for a while with a new roku stick. though i never changed anything, for some reason a setting in the router was the problem. i never did figure out which one it was but a reset of the router got it working after other fails.

i'd try simply resetting the router and see if that helps. spent days myself trying to get the roku working but then worked first time everytime after the router reset. worth a shot anyway