Streaming Real Time Internet Video to an HDTV

eyendall

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Hello,
I am really confused. What I want to do is ditch my cable provider and depend upon streaming video (movies, tv channels whatever) directly from the internet to my hdtv via (presumably) my iMac. I have a wireless network and want to do this wirelessly. I have googled relentlessly and can't get a simple clear answer how to do it. Is it even possible? If so, what additional hardware do I need? I bought a Samsung HDTV which supposedly has wifi capacity; likewise a Sony BlueRay disk player. Also an Apple TV. Clearly "wifi enabled" and "internet ready" advertising claims are highly misleading. I hard disks via the Apple TV, but want I want is real-time streaming off the internet. I thought this combination would give me what I want but presumably not. Is there a combination of software and hardware which will allow me to do this. Does the Xbox come close? Thanks.

eyendall

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Thanks for reminding me of the Samsung dongle. I had looked at this but it does not appear to let me pick what I want off the internet, only what Samsung chooses to make available. Would another wireless adaptor work or does viewing off the internet depend upon Samsung's propriety software in the dongle? Would a wifi connected media player (Xbox) hdmi-connected to the tv do what I want? Maybe what I am seeking is not achievable. Or am I thinking too much and the solution is as simple as using the TV as a monitor? I told you I was confused!

jeffhsi

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
It's incredibly easy to stream Internet to your TV. The cheapest method for Netflix is with a game system if you have one. You can use your Wii/Xbox 360/PS3 to stream Netflix straight to your television for free. Otherwise, you can download Boxee onto your computer and attach it to the TV via an HDMI cable. It's great software that acts as an amazing media center that pulls together all of the different Internet streams, including Netflix. You can even download an iPhone app that acts as a remote. This is what I use now.

Or, rather than using your computer, in November they are debuting the Boxee Box ($200?) which does all of the same functions. I think that this is MUCH easier that buying a wireless adapter for the TV since you can install the Boxee Box anywhere.

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Your thinking too much! The dongle will let you access the internet thru your wireless connection.
You will only be able to connect to services that you have set up in the samsung. ( it's not a laptop it's a tv)
The Xbox is capable of doing what the samsung will do as well.

eyendall

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
So what you are saying, is that the dongle will only let me see internet services/content that Samsung has set-up. I cannot stream real-time PBS from the internet to my TV. Is that right? That does not exactly meet my objective of doing away with cable TV for my television program watching.

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Dongle will allow you to connect wirelessly.
I believe that netflix will become an application. There will be other apps as well such as internet TV some services will be free but most are not.
I'm just not sure of the surfing capability of the TV. ( I defer to any one with a Samsung TV.)
You should set up your wireless first, then get used to the advanced features.
Then access netflix and give it a try. It only costs $10.00 / month can be canceled at any time.

tommyboy111

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
why is my sreen blue with no picture when trying to connect my dell laptop to my sharp hdtv? im using hdmi 5m cable. video streaming will not show, why is this? my laptop is on wireless broadband and im using hdmi cable to connect to tv. Does this work? My laptop runs on 60 htz

ArtL7

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

I don't know if this applies in your case, but some computers DLNA enabled supposedly allowing you to stream to your DLNA/wi-fi enabled Blu-ray player and thus show on your TV...here's a device that does that for Dell computer and samsung, and also supposedly works with Sony DLNA certified products: it's pricey at dell website, but could likely be found elsewhere or similar
I'll be posting a question about it
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/blu_ray_dvd_dvr/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=a3413182#Overview

ArtL7

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

Please clarify will the Samsung "dongle" DLNA linkstick allow you to stream ANYTHING you stream on your computer via your own browsers to your TV via a DLNA blu-ray player or HDTV -- or ONLY pre-selected channels such as Netflix, Pandora...That's not clear from discussions on this board: here's the description of SAmsung LinkStick:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-i1ZHBZJeyTj/p_305LINK/Samsung-Link-Stick.html

Also, Dell support says it will work DLNA enabled Sony products...Is this true? And how well, in general does this LinkStick work?
Thanks, ArtL7

ArtL7

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

Please have experts on this forum clarify this point regarding the Samsung DLNA "dongle": previous exchanges are murky:
Please clarify will the Samsung "dongle" DLNA linkstick allow you to stream ANYTHING you stream on your computer via your own browsers to your TV via a DLNA blu-ray player or HDTV -- or ONLY Samsung's pre-selected web partners such as Netflix, Pandora...That's not clear from discussions on this board: here's the description of SAmsung LinkStick:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-i1ZHB [...] Stick.html

Also, Dell support says the Samsung "dongle" will work DLNA enabled Sony products...Is this true? And how well, in general does this LinkStick work?
Thanks, ArtL7

eyendall

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
ArtL7

Judging by this thread, "experts" on this subject are thin on the ground or taking care of other business. Certainly not contributing here.

The Samsung dongle, linkstick, or whatever name it carries does NOT work with ALL current Samsung HDTV models. Read the manual carefully and check with on-line support before buying. I learned the hard way. Yes the dongle will "work" on my TV but ONLY to download TV firmware updates off the web. The TV I have does not have the internet software in it necessary to use the dongle for web access, nor can it be upgraded. Samsung's marketing is deceptive.

As for streaming, NO, it doesn't permit this. The dongle, used on specially configured Samsung HDTVs, will only allow web access for a few sites selected by Samsung.

My TV does have DLNA so I can play videos from my Mac hard-drive with third party DNLA software loaded on my Mac (Samsung DLNA software is PC only), but nothing to do with the dongle. TV has wifi capability without the dongle.

If you want to stream what is on your PC browser to your HDTV then an ethernet connection from PC to TV is required. Exceptions to this are hacks to the AppleTV, or Google TV which allow you to display and use a browser on your TV using a wifi connection.

ArtL7

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
THERE'S NO CONSISTENCY WITH DLNA READY SYNCHING BY MANUFACTURER...I LEARNED. SO FOR THE SONY BLU-RAY PLAYER I BOUGHT IT SYNCHED FINE WITH WINDOWS 7..I DIDN'T NEED ANY SPECIAL "DONGLE" FOR IT TO WORK.

Jebus_GT

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Hi,

Okay, so the Samsung Wireless "Dongle" will only work with the Samsung HDTVs that are wireless capable.
With the Dongle, you are only able to access Samsung TV Apps / Yahoo Widgets determined by your location.
Also with the Dongle, you are able to only access media files from your home network centre, such as music, videos, photos currently saved on your home network.

The Dongle does not enable you access to external streaming such as internet explorer from another computer, as there is no function to connect as so on your television.

There are pretty much only 2 ways I can think of that you can achieve what you want to do.

1.) Either connect your laptop/pc/mac to your computer via hdmi, vga (will require additional connection for audio), s-video (will require additional connection for audio), component, etc... (these connections would require you to have cables running from source to TV, where you would need to switch to the appropriate input/source)

2.) Go look up the push2tv option someone spoke about earlier. but there are limited units that can actually utilize this netgear unit.

www.netgear.com/ptv

look up the ptv1000

requires: windows 7 laptop, a certain processor, as well as a certain program - intel wireless device or something like that.

I haven`t been able to find any other push2tv units out there, but i hope this information gives you a clearer understanding of what the dongle can or cannot do, and what other options are.

however, if you do have say a samsung receiver with anynet capability on it, maybe have your laptop wired up to the receiver, and run anynet on your television to access the receiver and stream through there?

ArtL7

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

It's easier than that I believe:

My sony blu-ray player BDP-S570 is connected via wiring to my HDTV, but the streaming internet I get -- including most videos on my C drive (inlucing .avi files) in selected folders, Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, and other channels that sony provides streams from my computer and wireless router via Windows 7 homegroup wi-fi connection of my router to the Sony blu-ray, included as a device in my "homegroup," and then from the blu ray to my television. I don't have much mechanical skills, so actual connecting was done by a tech guy.

Jebus_GT

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Hi,

I believe you are correct. But I believe the original post was to set this up wirelessly. I honestly have never used netflix.

I've been trying to set my samsung television to act as a monitor for my pc, but have been unsuccessful thus far unless I have it wired via hdmi or VGA. I had a look at the ptv1000 earlier today, and my pc and laptop both aren't supported.

I guess i'll have to go wired for the time being.

(never purchase an all in one pc) - very limited outputs for video.

eecaj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

To get your PC monitor signal to your TV via wireless you would use this device(HD InternetVue) And it does audio as well. Here is a link to the product page. Inside it a link to the seller, which is Amazon.

http://www.addlogix.com/subpage.asp?MM=MM1&m_id=76&ids=9

eecaj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

Not able to edit my post.. but it seems after a bit of reading its over lan olny the dam device is not not wireless sigh !!silly sight will not let me edit my post or remove it..

AvgJoeCa

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
The Dongle tha comes with the Samsung TV only provides WiFi, the software in the Smart TV decides what you can see. Some models come with a quite capable browser, mine didn't. The streaming apps that you can D/L and use are quite nice, but also limiting, only if there is an App, they are adding more all the time. I use my laptop (it is very fast, and streams quite well). It has a VGA Out that I attached to the TV, and I get very good streaming from the internet this way. My house mates uses their Wii and Xbox to stream Netflix to their TV's, and are happy with the results. I no-longer have Cable TV, my TV does Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Youtube, and other apps provided by Samsung for free.