Solved! Strong Wi-Fi weak connection Huawei Honor 7x

Jan 17, 2019
I have had this phone for approximately 6 months and really like everything about it except for the Wi-Fi. It shows a strong signal but the internet and everything related to Wi-Fi is horrible unless I am next to the router. It is NOT a bluetooth problem (I have eliminated that as a possible cause). I have used a Wi-Fi analyzer to confirm that signal strength is good. I have used several phones and tablets from the same distance from the router and they don't have any problems. It doesn't matter what router I am connecting to and I still have problems. I have cleared the cache. The only thing I haven't done is to do a "factory reset".

Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
NOTE: If none of the following work to resolve the problem, and if the phone is under warranty, I would contact the manufacturer.

1. Update the firmware and any apps that need updating on the phone.

2. Should none of the former work...
a. Clear out the WiFi data on the phone.
b. Reboot the modem/router.
c. Once the modem/router is fully 'up' again, reboot the phone and re-input the WiFi data.

3. Check your internet connection. It may be what is going in and out rather than the phone. Some devices are more sensitive to this than others.

4. Make sure you have "Data" turned off on the device when using "WiFi" (that is if you have a plan with data through your phone). If you don't make sure it is turned off, the device can...
NOTE: If none of the following work to resolve the problem, and if the phone is under warranty, I would contact the manufacturer.

1. Update the firmware and any apps that need updating on the phone.

2. Should none of the former work...
a. Clear out the WiFi data on the phone.
b. Reboot the modem/router.
c. Once the modem/router is fully 'up' again, reboot the phone and re-input the WiFi data.

3. Check your internet connection. It may be what is going in and out rather than the phone. Some devices are more sensitive to this than others.

4. Make sure you have "Data" turned off on the device when using "WiFi" (that is if you have a plan with data through your phone). If you don't make sure it is turned off, the device can keep trying to switch to "Data" when you try and use "WiFi".

5. Lastly, should none of the above would, you may wish to try a "Hard Reset"...

NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your phone, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the device.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard Reset" the phone...

1. Make sure that the phone is actually powered off.

2. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.

3. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".

4. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.

5. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.

6. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.

7. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the phone.

Solution
Jan 17, 2019

I have tried all of those things except for the hard reset. I will try the hard reset this weekend. If anyone has any other ideas, please let more know