Student Arrested for Modifying Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
All these corporations have been ripping us off for a long, long time - and a guy goes and runs a business where he uses his skills and talent to earn some cash and lo and behold he is shoulder deep in shit now! Go figure... We will never, ever win against these greedy bastards because they write their own laws to screw us over day in and day out!

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Doesn't make a lot of sense... Maybe I am just confused about what they are actually jailing him for. I can't modify something I own? It's not like he was violating copyright laws, he was just allowing someone else to.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]Doesn't make a lot of sense... Maybe I am just confused about what they are actually jailing him for. I can't modify something I own? It's not like he was violating copyright laws, he was just allowing someone else to.[/citation]

Yeah, unless they found a bunch of pirated games/movies/music (which I'm sure they did), what law was broken? And WTF does Homeland Security have to do with enforcing the DCMA, or I.C.E. for that matter? Was he exporting them?

Nevermind, look here.

IMHO, getting the government to enforce DRM is BS. I suggest you all call your representatives and tell them to tell corps. to hire their own PIs and sue, IN CIVIL court!

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]adamovera[/nom] And WTF does Homeland Security have to do with enforcing the DCMA, or I.C.E. for that matter? Was he exporting them?Nevermind, look here.IMHO, getting the government to enforce DRM is BS.[/citation]
In 2003, several independent us government services have been rolled into homeland security, which wasn't on of the intended original goals. Examples like, fema, INS, coast guard and secret service, seemingly with diminished quality of service have been commonly reported.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Unbelievable, if you want to modify something that you've already paid for, you've voided the warranty, but to make it a crime! WTF?

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
The problem is, he was doing it for profit. You can do your own modifications to your own console, but if you start to "offer your services", that's a different story. The "Keep a low profile" is a must.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]ethaniel[/nom]The problem is, he was doing it for profit. You can do your own modifications to your own console, but if you start to "offer your services", that's a different story. The "Keep a low profile" is a must.[/citation]

Ahh, that makes sense :) But still, ICE? Isn't that more in the purview of the FTC, the IRS, or the local Sheriff via state or local tax collector's office? Seems like overkill, like sending the FBI after someone who is adding an extra room onto their house without a permit.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
you know with all this big brother peaking in ourlive, our fucked up government seems to forget, for all the military, cops etc etc, general citizens sick of all this horsecrap outnumber them 500 to 1.... i saw we rise up, dispose of them all...and make a true government that is for the people by the people.... not our government today that wears that mask but really works for the big companies

krashnicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Really? Does Homeland security have nothing better to do then arrest this guy for modifying game consoles. If they have this much free time the government should be closing/downsizing the department of Homeland security and saving the public millions if not billions of dollars every year. I don't see how this guy is threatening the nations security. This is a waste of tax payers money. WTF!

livefree

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
The Department of Homeland Security arrested him at his home for modifying gaming consoles? What a bunch of Nazis...I mean seriously, what's next?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
What the government should be doing is removing the stupid restrictions the entertainment industry put in so we can't watch/play/enjoy things from overseas or different "Regions".

MPAA, RIAA. I'm looking at you.

stumpystumped

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
the whole law system is cripped, it assumes everyone understands the law to start with. what kind of assumption is that? it's like assuming Amazon carries millions of books so everyone in the world should know all the materials in there.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
The problem is he was profiting from the game consoles. MS hasn't authorized ANYONE to modify the console, just sell it or program for it.

MS can't legally prevent him from modifying the hardware of the machine, but its the SOFTWARE on the machine that they can prevent him from modifying. By adding new hardware and placing the OS on a machine that wasn't in the original spec, MS can say he modified the OS. Hence, jail time.

Status
Not open for further replies.