Study Claiming IE Users Are Dumb Just A Hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeangs2004

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
With the Sync feature, Firefox is the only browser acceptable for both personal and IT environment. I only use Firefox from now on.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
So, yes, I am guilty as well, even if I questioned the scientific value of a study that basically tells us that nearly 40% of Internet users in China have a below average intelligence level (as they use IE6).
That alone is no reason to doubt it. 40% can always be expected to have below-average intelligence. In fact, about 50% can. That's the cool thing about using average intelligence as a benchmark - it gets lower over time, making me look like I'm getting smarter over time =P

greenspoon

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]That alone is no reason to doubt it. 40% can always be expected to have below-average intelligence. In fact, about 50% can. That's the cool thing about using average intelligence as a benchmark - it gets lower over time, making me look like I'm getting smarter over time =P[/citation]

In fact, 80% of people have average intelligence. Intelligence is measured on a standard bell curve. Median IQ is 100 (Intellectual Age/Chronological Age x100) and average intelligence is one standard deviation up and down, so average intelligence is an IQ between 85-115.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
having a high IQ does not necssarily make you intelligent. You can have a sky high IQ and have no social skills in which to translate that IQ into any real use.

I still use internet explorer, as i have no reason to use the others as they don't correctly display certain pages i use regularly. You would be dumb to use other browsers if they dont do what you need them to do.

king smp

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I use IE9 and also use FF4
Who says you can only use one
There are features of FF4 that I like
Mainly the auto reload of pages (craigslist usage)
but I also like IE9 GUI much better than FF4
also I find IE9 to be more "responsive"
In latest tests IE9 is winning many of the speed tests
also IE9 is available in a stable 64-bit release
while FF4 is better at opening many pages 30+ at a time

So my point is
why is there such fanaticism about browsers
there is no reason to only use one
and using FF doesnt make you more elite :)
but it can make you into a snob

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]king smp[/nom]I use IE9 and also use FF4Who says you can only use oneThere are features of FF4 that I likeMainly the auto reload of pages (craigslist usage)but I also like IE9 GUI much better than FF4also I find IE9 to be more "responsive"In latest tests IE9 is winning many of the speed testsalso IE9 is available in a stable 64-bit releasewhile FF4 is better at opening many pages 30+ at a timeSo my point is why is there such fanaticism about browsersthere is no reason to only use oneand using FF doesnt make you more elite but it can make you into a snob[/citation]
Nice poem got there buddy.... lol.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
@ Douglass
dude, you swallowed the whole thing, bait, hook and sinker... not necessarily in that order.
As I said in a comment on the original article, a) there is no way an IQ study can be done like this and b) this smelled of browser flame war from a mile away. You should have questioned it from the moment you read the words "internet IQ study".
Just learn whatever you can from it and move on.
Will this mean fewer rumor articles, as well? I surely hope so...

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]king smp[/nom]I use IE9 and also use FF4Who says you can only use oneThere are features of FF4 that I likeMainly the auto reload of pages (craigslist usage)but I also like IE9 GUI much better than FF4also I find IE9 to be more "responsive"In latest tests IE9 is winning many of the speed testsalso IE9 is available in a stable 64-bit releasewhile FF4 is better at opening many pages 30+ at a timeSo my point is why is there such fanaticism about browsersthere is no reason to only use oneand using FF doesnt make you more elite but it can make you into a snob[/citation]

Thats pretty much where I stand too. IE9 for a lot of main browsing because from what I have seen in personal use, it is faster than FF4 and opens faster as well. But I use FF4 for a few sites that do run better on it and for a video streaming site I use, because it uses plugins that work better on FF than IE9.

IE9 also has the TPL with built in ad, script and tracking blocking which is nice. Have not moved to FF5 because of plugin compatability mainly.

Honestly, I think the best combo is FF and IE9. I just hope IE10 does even better and pushes the rest to do better. I think IE9 suprised a lot of people with how fast and friendly it was and IE10 is supposed to build upon that with a new engine, more support for HTML5 and CSS3. I say the more features the merrier and hope IE10 helps push better browsers from all companies.

As for intelligence level, I have well above average IQ, about 140, and know more about PCs off the top of my head than most so called computer techs. Browser can never define intelligence as I have had people who use Google Chrome or FF and come in with some of the worst viruses. They thought they were safe just because they used a different browser but thats never true.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This illustrates well the potential shortcomings of blindly trusting internet sources. Even major news corporations are susceptible to that, as we have seen.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hey Tom's, how lazy can you get? After all you "journalists" are PAID, pretty well too, to do your job, and you couldn't even bother doing basic leg work? LOL

You guys weren't had, you DIDN'T DO YOUR JOB PROPERLY!

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hey Tom's, you weren't "had", the fact is you "journalists" didn't do your job properly!

I figure they pay you guys pretty well, and you can't even bother to do the basic leg work on a story? Geeze!

Status
Not open for further replies.