Study: iPhone Users Are Delusional

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Apple users in general are delusional. While I appreciate certain aspects of OSX I prefer Windows for too many reasons to list. There are definite pros and cons for each OS.

I will not defend MS like Apple users defend everything that has an apple logo on it.

It worries me that people can be so easily lead to believe the media hype or advertising.

I used my brother's iphone over a weekend. I personally prefer the BB for typing. The touch screen is brutal.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]While most iPhone users are probably delusional, the all iPhone haters definitely are.[/citation]
Well said, people who think super hardware is what makes a phone are little far away from reality (probably windows mobile users). There is more to a phone then just throwing in all the latest hardware. Good software can make a faster phone look slow.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]FHDelux[/nom]To each their own, apple people can be fanatical sometimes. I use both OSX and Windows daily, so i wouldn't say i'm biased toward one or the other. With cell phones its the same thing. I know people who love windows mobile, i used to love my treo 700p and i think the WebOS interface is brilliant. That said, i have an iphone and i think its a great device, mostly due to the interface and web browser being so smooth in comparison to other smartphones i've used. Thing is, i cannot say that my iphone is better than say a droid device because i simply cannot afford to hop from contract to contract paying ETFs just to try new devices.[/citation]
Why do people even lock onto one brand without trying others. I could not live without windows, but I really appreciate apple products. There is more the life then which OS or brand you use.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]stefn[/nom]Meanwhile Apple just goes about its business. Its very profitable business of redefining the distribution of audio, video, print—all things digital. Keep the faith.[/citation]

right... i guess history began for you when the iphone arrived?

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]Why do people even lock onto one brand without trying others. I could not live without windows, but I really appreciate apple products. There is more the life then which OS or brand you use.[/citation]

yes , all these are just side-effects of information overload . marketing information , which basically means "let us care for you" has encroached upon real competitive intelligence , which is "i can take care of myself" . this does not mean marketing is evil , but there is just too much of it and very little critical thinking is left in the mind , especially teens and kids .

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
When was this questionnaire made? The date isnt listed in the source. I ask because many of these questions have an invalid response to the current hardware.

"1. The first iPhone was not a 3G phone: What do you need 3G for? You can easily use the iPhone without using a 3G network and anyway, 3G is not particularly widespread, so this is not a problem.

TRUE, This is why I waited for iPhone 3G. No defense.

2. The phone cannot send MMS: There is no need to send MMSs, hardly anybody sends MMSs.

MMS is live.

3. You cannot forward a SMS: This is a function that hardly anybody uses and was therefore not included in the first iPhones.

Forwarding is live.

4. The phone has a poor camera: The built-in camera is perfectly adequate and the iPhone takes fantastic photos with its camera.

Iphone 3GS has a great camera

5. It is not a real Smartphone, it cannot multitask: The phone has all the necessary functions and the OS is technically superior compared to other Smartphone OSs currently on the mobile market.

True multitasking doesnt mean its not a smartphone. Some native apps do run in the background.

6. The iPhone cannot multitask, resulting in a great number of applications being unusable: The absence of multitasking is a deliberate design decision resulting in a faster UI.

Jailbreaking and using Backgrounder solves this issue and many others"

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
WIN.

Also sounds similar to religous fanatics.
"My religion is the only TRUE way, and everyone else is going to hell"
And all the creationists etc

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Steven Bancroft[/nom]When was this questionnaire made? The date isnt listed in the source. I ask because many of these questions have an invalid response to the current hardware."1. The first iPhone was not a 3G phone: What do you need 3G for? You can easily use the iPhone without using a 3G network and anyway, 3G is not particularly widespread, so this is not a problem.TRUE, This is why I waited for iPhone 3G. No defense.2. The phone cannot send MMS: There is no need to send MMSs, hardly anybody sends MMSs.MMS is live.3. You cannot forward a SMS: This is a function that hardly anybody uses and was therefore not included in the first iPhones.Forwarding is live.4. The phone has a poor camera: The built-in camera is perfectly adequate and the iPhone takes fantastic photos with its camera.Iphone 3GS has a great camera5. It is not a real Smartphone, it cannot multitask: The phone has all the necessary functions and the OS is technically superior compared to other Smartphone OSs currently on the mobile market.True multitasking doesnt mean its not a smartphone. Some native apps do run in the background.6. The iPhone cannot multitask, resulting in a great number of applications being unusable: The absence of multitasking is a deliberate design decision resulting in a faster UI.Jailbreaking and using Backgrounder solves this issue and many others"[/citation]

In case you didn't notice, you are the target of this study. The point is all of these features should have been in version 1 and worked out of the box without jailbreaking.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Steven Bancroft[/nom]Jailbreaking and using Backgrounder solves this issue and many others"[/citation]

If I didn't know better I'd say you're joking. The sad part is that you're actually serious about this.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]obiown77[/nom]When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I got an iphone.[/citation]

i bet that is not what your momma thinks ...

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]stefn[/nom]redefining the distribution of audio, video, print—all things digital. Keep the faith.[/citation]

u sound deluded like nazi's were about their so called 'Aryan' race .

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
No offense, but those of you saying the iPhone 3GS has a great camera are delusional. It's the equivalent of a glorified webcam at best.

Specifically:

- Camera Noise/Graininess
- Over Saturation
- Low light photos turn everything into black blobs (call TAPS, they'd be interested in shadow figures).
- Complete oversight of included flash (not sure why Apple didn't add a tacky glowing logo, this may have helped).

My 8 year old Kodak DC280 (2MP) Camera takes better pictures than the 3GS. Screen captures from my Flip Ultra HD 2nd look better.

I can't comment on anything else, that phone gives me a headache after 2 minutes of use - more radiation than Chernobyl oozing from it.

/iphone fanboi defense shield up

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
This has been going on for years with Apple products. I remember a few years ago when Macbooks didnt come with DVD burners (but every cheap PC laptop did), I read an article that pointed this out and the Apple lovers all stated "you dont really need a DVD burner, only musicians and film makers need them!"

I mentioned this to a mate in the pub as we waited for our friend who had recently bought his first Mac. He laughed and said we should mention this fact to our new Mac buddy. Now this buddy, a couple of weeks before would have laughed at any computer not having a DVD burner in it as cheapskate.

He arrived, sat down, we told him the fact about Macbooks not having DVD burners. His reply? "Well you you dont really need a DVD burner, only musicians and film makers need them!"

We both spat beer across the table laughing.

I dont think you buy a Mac, you buy an alien pod thing that replaces you as you sleep.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
When actually looking at what the iPhone offers you see that it is nothing but mediocrity at its best. Jack of all trades - Master of none. Everyhing the iPhone does someone else has done it better. Touch screen, gaming, voice quality, multi-tasking, camera, and audio. Apple just managed to get something together that falls below the best of all these things and put it in one.

And no, the app store does not count because it is not a function of the phone. It is a service for Apple products. Besides it is full of trash apps and dozens that do the same thing. There are a few gems hidden in it though.

All in all, I was one of the lucky ones who wasn't suckered into spending hundreds of dollars on an app tied to one phone. I switched to the Droid, and while it does have a few problems, it is no where near as mediocre as the iPhone. I got the phone for business purposes. And for what I am using it for, the iPhone now seems more lackluster leaving me more unimpressed. There will be some things that I miss. But not enough to place it infront of functionality of what I need.

ryanegeiger

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I can't believe people defending the iPhone say that "Jailbreaking solves these issues."

In this you are admitting that reverse engineering the iPhone software is the only thing that solves the issues that it has out-of-the-box.

That's like saying, "the Toyota Corolla isn't slow as long as you install an aftermarket engine, tweak the gear ratios, install a turbo, rip out the backseats... etc etc."

I use a Blackberry, my g/f has an iPhone. The main reason I don't like the iPhone: Touchscreen Keyboard. I can't stand it. But it's a preference. I've had iPhone users basically say that I can't "Handle" it, like it's some skill I'm supposed to develop. It's strange. Definitely viable for psychological study for sure.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... delusional? Maybe... but there is a interesting thing about my iPhone... i have used many phones with windows mobile and symbian... but with this virgin birth miracle i use most of the features, because the ease of use... ok... there is now MMS for iPhone... i used one or two times... the one thing... a FM radio would be nice... but when i understand right, it's in the pipe...

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]No offense, but those of you saying the iPhone 3GS has a great camera are delusional. It's the equivalent of a glorified webcam at best.Specifically:- Camera Noise/Graininess- Over Saturation- Low light photos turn everything into black blobs (call TAPS, they'd be interested in shadow figures).- Complete oversight of included flash (not sure why Apple didn't add a tacky glowing logo, this may have helped).My 8 year old Kodak DC280 (2MP) Camera takes better pictures than the 3GS. Screen captures from my Flip Ultra HD 2nd look better.I can't comment on anything else, that phone gives me a headache after 2 minutes of use - more radiation than Chernobyl oozing from it./iphone fanboi defense shield up[/citation]

Even the Casio Boulder takes better pictures that the iPhone. It even has flash built in.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Well I have an Ipod touch. I was disappointed when I "upgraded" from the palm life drive(its old). I lost open apps, memory card slot, file browser, Its own calendar program, Opera mobile, a backup program that went to the memory card so I can do back ups and restores on the fly, being able to create, open, edit documents for free without having to go through crazy syncing procedures, etc.

So. Do I think they have the right to call them delusional... Well depends on how the word delusional is used. I think apple has a very nice GUI that I love. That is about the end of what really stands out to me about the Iphone and Ipod Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS