Stutter/Lag Spikes While Watching Video on SSD

sysrq54

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
I using a Clevo p150sm-a. The videos are lagging in every 10 seconds. My drivers and bios are up to date. I am experiencing this problem just with ssd. I am downloading and pasting the video to the my mechanical drive, then the video isn't lagging. My ssd is crucial ct256m550ssd3 and also it is firmware up to date. How am I going to solve this problem? Secure erase does it solve the problem?

My İssue's Video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u08ovdDY-Fo

Solution
Hey there again, @sysrq54!

These temps during the stress test definitely sound concerning! :( In fact the issue could be coming from some sort of defect in the SSD itself. If there's no airflow problem, then it's most probably some corruption in the SSD itself. Since it has no warranty, replace it and get the mSATA. It should resolve the problem IMHO. However, don't forget to backup all your important files from the 2.5" SATA SSD beforehand to avoid any data loss headaches.

Best of luck!
SuperSoph_WD
Are you getting the lag when trying to watch a video you have downloaded already and are trying to watch while it is on the SSD or are you getting the lag when trying to watch it online?

If it is the latter, it may not be the SSD or the computer itself. It may well be your service provider. You should check the connection to see if there is any major fluctuation in the speed you are getting and also check the Packet Loss and Jitter.

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there, @sysrq54!

In addition to what @webworkings mentioned, I'd also suggest you run an SSD-specific diagnostic tool and check what the SMART results will show about the SSD's health. Since you have an SSD and an HDD in your laptop, then you could also try swapping their places and see how the videos will play from the SSD then. The issue could be somewhere in the connectivity to the SSD. Have you noticed these lags and stutters while playing games or running a demanding software? I also noticed from the video you shared that it's played via YouTube, maybe you should also check your Flash player drivers as well.

If you decide to go with the Secure Erase, make sure you backup your data somewhere off-site beforehand. Once you go to doing a clean install of Windows onto the SSD, I'd also advise you to unplug the secondary HDD from the system until the OS installation is completed. Otherwise you might encounter the so-called OS confusion.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted & good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

sysrq54

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016

Not, it's lagging when I trying to watch it offline too but there is no problem with mechanical drive.

sysrq54

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016

Yeah I've noticed the these lag while playing games especially in scene changes. Videos are also lagging vlc player etc. But there is no lag if I watch the video on my hdd.

SSD Health:
http://i.imgur.com/cQQGBs1.png

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hello again, @sysrq54!

According to these SMART results, it looks like your SSD is running a little hotter than it should. The operating temperature should be below 50C in order to work properly. I'd strongly recommend you backup any important data from the SSD somewhere off-site, just to be on the safe side, and then consider contacting the manufacturer's customer support to check its warranty. However, since you have a laptop, there's a little airflow inside which could also be causing the temperature spikes and performance bottlenecking. I'd advise you to consider cleaning and blowing the dust from the notebook. Keep in mind that if it's still covered by the warranty, you will need a professional PC repair service to do these troubleshooting steps, otherwise you will void the warranty on the computer. Contact the manufacturer's or the reseller's customer support for any service shop referrals.

Hope this helps.
SuperSoph_WD

sysrq54

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016

My ssd has not warranty and I couldn't see any dust in my notebook. If I buy Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB mSATA what is chances of re-warming up and having problems?

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

As far as temperature goes, I suspect the issue could be coming from somewhere else in your laptop and not the SSD itself. I'd advise to check why it's generating that heat in the first place before you upgrade to mSATA. As for the performance, there's not that much of a noticeable difference between the mSATA and the 2.5" SATA SSDs. Having the games and the OS on it, you won't see any significant improvement really. However, the mSATA draws a lot less power.

Either way, check what could be the source of this heat issue first.

SuperSoph_WD

sysrq54

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Schenker-W503-Clevo-P150SM-Notebook.92973.0.html

Schenker W503's barebone is the same as mine notebook. Clevo p150sm. Schenker aslo has a mstata ssd inside the p150sm case but the difference is ssd's brand samsung and samsung msata has not heat problem with same barebone as mine notebook while stress test. My ssd has 78 celcius while stress testing? Spike problem isn't happening now but I know it's will back because It's always happening like that. Sometimes it happens sometimes it does not. What kind of heat problems can there be inside my notebook? Because I can't see any air flow problem.

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

These temps during the stress test definitely sound concerning! :( In fact the issue could be coming from some sort of defect in the SSD itself. If there's no airflow problem, then it's most probably some corruption in the SSD itself. Since it has no warranty, replace it and get the mSATA. It should resolve the problem IMHO. However, don't forget to backup all your important files from the 2.5" SATA SSD beforehand to avoid any data loss headaches.

Best of luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

sysrq54

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016

Thank you for your help and answers.