Subwoofer: nothing plugged in, has this permanent humming

Status
Not open for further replies.

phi303

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkPpF7BNK2w"][/video]

So I came home to my sub making this humming noise. I unplugged everything and the sub continues to hum. It does get a little louder as I adjust the knob but only after a certain threshold.

Not entirely sure what's going on here, quite possibly there was a surge when I was at home (that's what I get for not plugging the sub into a surge protector).

My question is: can I fix this myself or will it cost an arm and leg for a shop to do it? Am I better off replacing the whole unit?

Reactions: Bigcalfs

sla70r

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Try unplugging it and bringing it to a whole different room and then plug it in again. See if the hum continues when it's on a different circuit. In my experience, subs can broadcast interference quite easily... I believe due to it's analog nature (could be wrong here).

phi303

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

I've tried it in 4 different rooms and the humming persists.

phi303

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

this is probably the issue, i haven't a clue on how to repair an amplifier.

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

It seems to be a common problem with that sub. Capacitors in the amp or the amp's power supply goes bad and a constant hum happens. Replacing the bad caps with better quality caps will usually solve the problem.

kerberos_20

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
maybe its just issue with your power supply (old hause)
try to ground it, connect one side of wire to metal chassis screw of your subwoofer and the other side to something metalic, like radiator or water pipe

phi303

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

I've contacted the parent company Klipsch, hope they respond with something useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.