subwoofer pre out jack to speaker wire

Tonewood

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
My Pioneer VSX-LX101 has a subwoofer pre out jack (RCA) as does my sub woofer... only problem is I built the theater room and pre-wired with 14 gauge speaker wires for everything. Can I simply wire RCA jacks at either end of the wire in my walls? If so - where can I get the jacks and what type (seems like there are several types).

Solution
The two types of wire are both two core. But the difference with the cable on the RCA plug is that it is double insulated in order to block out radio frequency's (RF) The worst case is that you end up with hum, due to electrical interference, and possible impedence problems. You can give it a go and solder on some connectors and see what happens, you may not even get any hum. It all depends on weather you are bothered about setting it up correctly and having the correct 75ohm (i think) cable.
You can get the plugs you need here: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Plated-Solder-Connector-Wv-hfr2in1/dp/B00ZOWOSMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490197702&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=rca+solder+connector&psc=1

It's very self explanatory how to solder them...
The two types of wire are both two core. But the difference with the cable on the RCA plug is that it is double insulated in order to block out radio frequency's (RF) The worst case is that you end up with hum, due to electrical interference, and possible impedence problems. You can give it a go and solder on some connectors and see what happens, you may not even get any hum. It all depends on weather you are bothered about setting it up correctly and having the correct 75ohm (i think) cable.
You can get the plugs you need here: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Plated-Solder-Connector-Wv-hfr2in1/dp/B00ZOWOSMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490197702&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=rca+solder+connector&psc=1

It's very self explanatory how to solder them up, just make sure you copy each end exactly, getting the polarity round the correct way.

Good luck!
Kenton.

Solution