Subwoofer to Onkyo A-9010

SammyNib

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
I currently have the Onkyo connected to a pair of mission LX-2's. I am considering adding a subwoofer to my setup. I have my eye on the Cambridge Audio SX120 and am wondering if I can use the line out from my amplifier to the line inputs on the sub?

I've read around and am seeing conflicting things between needing a pre amp output or just a line out.

If the line out inst possible, is there any other way to connect a sub?

Thanks for any help!

SammyNib

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

So I'm good to go, just connect an RCA cable from the amp to the sub?

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
MERGED QUESTION
Question from SammyNib : "Subwoofer to Onkyo A-9010"

SammyNib

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

Could you explain what you mean by that, sorry for being a pain.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
Ok, if the same signal comes one line in is outputed on the line out, if the same music plays in the line out. Line in and line out plays same sounds at teh same time. Here a schematic about signal travel
AZUaf3s.jpg

You can absolutely use a standard twin rca cable from the lineout on the onkyo to the line in on the sub.

It will work with the exception of 2 issues

1. You will have no control.of crossover frequencies to the left/right mission speakers.You will get full bass response from both speakers & subwoofer.
Some people actually prefer this , I personally don't.

2. You will have no automatic control of subwoofer volume.It will play at the same volume you have set with the sub manual controls irregardless of the volume setting on the onkyo amp.

If you want to run a sub 'properly' as a sub is intended to be used then you should look for one with speaker lever inputs & outputs.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015

Matt, the subwoofer has separte volume, on a line out from a amplifier you dont have a volume, it will be the same volume as the original signal. The problem with your proposal is that the voltage drop can be so great that even at max volume the sound presure (db aka loudness) will be low. As a line out from amplifier will be processed and passed through a separate circuit to ensure that no voltage drop will occur.

OP get a pair of heaphone with rca adaptor adn conect them on the line out, if you hear something the same thing as on your mission speaker then you are ok. Also it will be ok if you post a photo with the amplifier connections and the exact model.

^ I understand that but what I'm saying is line one you will have no sub volume control from the amplifier

You will be constantly setting the sub volume with the manual dial on the back to match the volume you're actually listening to stuff at.

If you have the sub on full & the amp volume all the way up then fine , if you turn the amp down volume wise for evening / night time use then the sub volume will remain on full unless you turn it down manually.

If the op is happy with that then fine.

You can get subs with speaker level input , internal crossover & then speaker level output back to left/right.

That will give you matched volume on sub & speaker (controllable by the amp volume dial) & proper bass response matching between sub & speakers.

They are a better option for an amp without a dedicated subwoofer output.

A lot of fairly budget Polk & eltax subwoofers have this option.

SammyNib

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

Alright I will give the headphone a try and see what happens

TRENDING THREADS